[Commlist] new book: Pop Culture for Beginners

Fri Jul 14 23:04:22 GMT 2023

Digital inspection copies of Jeffrey Weinstock's /Pop Culture for Beginners/ textbook are available using this link: https://broadviewpress.com/product/pop-culture-for-beginners/#tab-description

"Weinstock does a great job of introducing and reintroducing pop culture and does so in a relatable, humorous, and enjoyable way; in fact, I often forgot I was reading a textbook. While he presents an academic study of pop culture, he does so without abandoning the mystique and enjoyment most people find in pop culture. He challenges readers/students to examine their own cultural lens while encouraging us to think outside of the story presented to develop larger meanings. This book would be an excellent introductory book for pop culture studies (or really any studies) as it is easy to digest, thought-provoking, and just plain fun. Having said that, I study the intersection of science fiction and science interest (how does science fiction draw people to science), and I found this book a nice refresher and reminder of the broader contexts I am researching. Therefore, I recommend it to all academics, from those just starting to those who have been in the field for a while."

***--Kania Greer, /SFRA/* **