[Commlist] Professorship (W2) for Media History at the University of Siegen, Germany

Wed Jul 12 13:13:27 GMT 2023

*---*

*University Professorship (W2) for Media History*

Faculty: Faculty I: Faculty of Arts and Humanities, University of Siegen

https://jobs.uni-siegen.de/job/University-Professorship-%28W2%29-for-Media-History/947991201/ <https://jobs.uni-siegen.de/job/University-Professorship-(W2)-for-Media-History/947991201/>

The University of Siegen is a modern university with an international orientation and a focus on interdisciplinary research. It currently has around 16,500 students and covers a range of research fields from the humanities, social and economic sciences to natural sciences, engineering and life sciences. With over 2,000 employees, the university is one of the largest employers in the region and offers a unique environment for teaching, study, research and knowledge transfer.

We are looking for:

In Faculty I: Faculty of Humanities, there is a vacancy in the Department of Media Studies as of 01.04.2024 for a

*University Professorship (W2) for Media History*

to be filled.

*Your tasks:*

Your role is to represent the subject in its entire breadth in both research and teaching and make an independent contribution to the field of media history and historiographic approaches towards media. Your research advances the cultural, material and social history of digital media and your teaching introduced students to media history and its social, economic and technological contexts. We expect candidates to realize an internationally recognizable research agenda and to actively contribute towards the DFG excellence strategy as well as the DFG Collaborative Research Centers "Transformations of the Popular" or "Media of Cooperation".

The teaching load is 9 semester hours per week.

*Your profile:*

  * You meet the legal requirements for employment (§ 36 HG NRW).
    Detailed information can be found here: service.uni-siegen.de/prof
    <http://service.uni-siegen.de/prof>
  * You have a doctorate in media studies or in the field of humanities
    and social sciences with at least magna cum laude.
  * You have an excellent and international track record in the field of
    media history, especially on the history of digital media and
    practices (such as the history of computing, software, networks,
    platforms, data technologies or smart devices, etc.). Your work
    contains excellent contributions that advance media
    historiographical methods and can generate links between media
    history and the broader history of photography, film, radio,
    television or other media.
  * You have the ability to think in an interdisciplinary way, a
    team-oriented approach as well as the experience and competence in
    teaching in the English language in a university context.
  * You have successfully acquired third-party funding and are
    experienced in the implementation of externally funded projects,
    ideally in international and interdisciplinary research collaborations.
  * Collaboration not only within the Faculty of Arts but also with
    related research areas within the other faculties is also desirable.

We look forward to receiving your application with the usual documents (curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, description of previous research and teaching activities, list of third-party funds raised, two reference addresses) by 30.07.2023. Please apply exclusively via our job portal (https://jobs.uni-siegen.de <https://jobs.uni-siegen.de/>). Please note that we cannot consider applications in paper form or by e-mail.

*Your contact person:*

Frau Prof. Dr. Carolin Gerlitz, (carolin.gerlitz /at/ uni-siegen.de) <mailto:(carolin.gerlitz /at/ uni-siegen.de)>

Equal opportunities and diversity are promoted and embodied at the University of Siegen. The advertisement is explicitly addressed to people of all genders; applications from women will be given special consideration in accordance with the State Equal Opportunities Act. We also welcome applications from people with different personal, social, and cultural backgrounds, people with severe disabilities, and people of equal status.