[Commlist] Call for Book Chapters: Transformed Communication Codes in the Mediated World: A Contemporary Perspective

Tue Jun 20 12:48:42 GMT 2023

*Call for Book Chapters:*

*Transformed Communication Codes in the Mediated World: A Contemporary Perspective*

SARSCoV-2, or more popularly known as COVID-19, has had an immediate impact on life. While COVID-19 has significantly changed our lives, it has also transformed communication, the workforce, the working environment, and society. Governments and public healthcare institutions worldwide have established homestay rules to combat social distancing and the COVID-19 pandemic (WHO, 2020). Almost every sector (education, media, cinema, commerce, banking, etc.) began to digitalize rapidly with the pandemic (education, media, cinema, commerce, banking, etc.). During this period, people spent more time in their homes (Kemp, 2020).

In addition, the forms of communication performed in one-to-one interviews have changed and continue to change as social media and messaging. Thus, the pandemic has become a part of daily life. However, given that individuals rely on information and communication technologies, it is necessary to consider the impact of the COVID-19 process on communication types and codes. Therefore, this special issue focuses mainly on the effects of COVID-19 on communication practices and usage patterns. Any healthy relationship has always relied on effective communication. The pandemic has significant impact on our daily communication skills. We had to change our way of life and communication due to Covid-19. As a result, we are rethinking our communication strategies and re-evaluating our priorities. The long-term impact of the COVID-19 pandemic brings opportunities and threats (Malecki et al., 2020). On the other hand, as Nic Newman states, it would not be wrong to claim that the main impact of covid-19 on media is economic (Kunova, 2020).

This Book collection  discusses the challenges and opportunities that the COVID-19 pandemic brings to the communication discipline. Moreover, how the new communication models shaped by the pandemic will develop in the future is still a matter of debate (Nguyen et al., 2020). If we think through organizational communication, adults in the COVID19 pandemic are experiencing high stress and anxiety levels due to significant changes in their day-to-day lives, social structures, and movements. Everything in a pandemic revolves around effective communication, internally among employees, coworkers, or team members and externally among people, communities, and nations. Many people's interactions with one another have changed dramatically due to the COVID-19 pandemic response measures. Interpersonal trust is essential in how we interact with others and throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, trust has been identified as a critical factor in promoting pro-social and health-aware behavior. Trust is required to induce behavioral change, especially in this time of uncertainty. According to Fell (2020) the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the predictability of various aspects of daily life has resulted in a loss of trust in many areas of life, including trust in interpersonal relationships, society, workplaces, governments, and information.

Because public communication frequently emphasizes the death toll of the COVID-19 pandemic, COVID-19 is perceived as a strong mortality cue. As a result, Curșeu et al. (2021) anticipate that the frequency with which COVID-19-related ideas have been used in interpersonal communication will increase the salience of the mortality cues associated with the pandemic, ultimately spurring the state of anxiety and negative emotionality associated with COVID-19 (Curseu et al., 2021). The proper application of technology will help to facilitate social distance without sacrificing effective oral communication.

Furthermore, to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic and any other pandemic that could erupt in the future, we must improve coping mechanisms and skills, allowing communication with face masks easier. The positive is that many individuals are becoming more skilled at using communication technologies, which might be more useful in the future. Returning to normal life would most likely take time, but it's also important to note that even without pandemics, what's normal changes over time. In the near future, social and digital media will continue to play a role.

Possible topics of interest include, but are not limited in this thematic book,
- Communication studies during and after the COVID-19 pandemic,
- Changing communication practices and COVID-19,
- COVID-19 across disciplinary borders and its effects on media, film, public relations, and advertising industries,
- COVID-19 and new media,
- The effects of COVID-19 on individuals’ communication practices,
- The impacts of COVID-19 on traditional and/or new media,
- The impacts of COVID-19 on organizational communication

Important deadlines for this edited book projects is as follows:
*July 23, 2023*: Proposal Submission Deadline
*August 6, 2023*: Notification of Acceptance
*October 8, 2023*: Full Chapter Submission
*November 19, 2023*: Review Results Returned
*January 7, 2024*: Final Acceptance Notification
*January 14, 2024*: Final Chapter Submission

For more information and to submit your book chapter proposal, please visit:
https://www.igi-global.com/publish/call-for-papers/call-details/6629 <https://www.igi-global.com/publish/call-for-papers/call-details/6629>

Any inquiries regarding the submissions should be forwarded
to Dr. Hasan Gürkan ((gur.hasan /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(gur.hasan /at/ gmail.com)>) and Dr. Aybike Serttaş,
((aybikeserttas /at/ yahoo.com) <mailto:(aybikeserttas /at/ yahoo.com)>).

*Note that no payment from the authors will be required.*