[Commlist] Fully funded PhD Opportunity at BUC

Mon Jun 12 20:45:52 GMT 2023

Potential candidates are invivted to apply for this fully funded PhD opporutnity at Birmingham City University:

*Funded PhD opportunity: *The scheme will fund doctoral tuition fees and provide a tax-free stipend (a contribution towards living expenses).**

**

*Project Title:* Exploring the intersection of gender and race in the digital counterpublics: Algorithms and Black Lives Matter movement

*Closing date for applications: 30th June 2023*

*Project Description:*

The purpose of this research project is to understand how social media and online platforms influence conversations about the Black Lives Matter movement, with a specific focus on how gender and race intersect in these discussions. We want to explore how algorithms shape and influence what people see and engage with online, specifically regarding the Black Lives Movement, and how this affects the movement's ability to create change in society.

To do this, we will gather information from different sources, such as social media platforms, online forums, and conduct interviews. This information will help us to understand the ways in which these digital spaces are used by people to engage with social justice movements, and the challenges they face in doing so.

We hope to gain a deeper understanding of how online platforms can help or hinder social justice movements, and to find ways to use digital media to promote positive change in society. Our research findings will contribute to the field of digital media studies and Gender and race studies and inform the development of strategies to harness the power of digital media for positive social change.

Overall, our goal is to promote social justice and to help create a more equitable and inclusive society by better understanding the ways in which digital media can shape public discourse about important social issues.

By understanding how digital spaces impact social justice movements, we hope to find ways to use them to bring about positive change.

*Project Link:*please visit here <https://www.bcu.ac.uk/student-info/types-of-study/postgraduate/staying-at-bcu/grow-your-own/projects/intersection-of-gender-and-race>.

For information on eligibility and how to apply: please visit here <https://www.bcu.ac.uk/student-info/types-of-study/postgraduate/staying-at-bcu/grow-your-own>.

For queries, please contact Director of Studies for this project*: *Dr Roaa Ali <mailto:(roaa.ali /at/ bcu.ac.uk)>: (roaa.ali /at/ bcu.ac.uk) <mailto:(roaa.ali /at/ bcu.ac.uk)>