[Commlist] New themed issue: "Media and health in everyday life" (MedieKultur)

Fri May 26 13:09:37 GMT 2023

New themed issue: "Media and health in everyday life" (MedieKultur)

Available at: www.mediekultur.dk <http://www.mediekultur.dk> (fully OA)

Guest editors: Anette Grønning, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark & Helena Sandberg, Lund University, Sweden

 From the introduction:

Just as the title suggests, it is difficult to address health issues without considering the role of the media and everyday life; the time and space when health is produced and cared for or put at risk and exposed. In the introduction to this special issue, ‘Media and health in everyday life’, we will discuss the three components of the theme. We will offer some definitions, but also problematize the conceptual underpinnings and highlight the intertwinement of the three. We set off by reflecting on health. Then we will engage with ideas around the notion of everyday life. In the final section, we add the component of the media before we present and summarise the nine contributions to the special issue and clarify to what extent they add to our understanding of the theme.

Contributions:

1) Data sense-making and communicative gaps on sundhed.dk (Martina Skrubbeltrang Mahnke, Matilde Lykkebo Petersen & Mikka Nielsen)

2) Ageing with apps: A Foucauldian study exploring older people’s use of apps in managing their physical health (Martin Bavngaard)

3) #strokesurvivor on Instagram: Conjunctive experiences of adapting to disability (Maria Schreiber)

4) Reconfigurations of illness and masculinity on Instagram (Mie Birk Jensen, Karen Hvidtfeldt)

5) Datafied female health: Sociotechnical imaginaries of femtech in Danish public discourse (Sara Dahlman, Sine N. Just, Linea Munk Petersen, Prins Marcus Valiant Lantz & Nanna Würtz Kristiansen)

6) Genetic hauntings: Mediating pre-patienthood and haunted health on TV (Ann-Katrine Schmidt Nielsen & Carsten Stage)

7) The Philadelphia Syndrome, or an insurmountable cultural trauma: Outdated mainstream visual representations of HIV in times of undetectability (Sergio Villanueva Baselga)

8) Communicating health advice on social media: A multimodal case study (Martin Engebretsen)