[Commlist] Call for papers: Conference on methods in cultural production and media industries research

Thu May 25 17:48:18 GMT 2023

  Call for papers: Conference on methods in cultural production and
  media industries research

We invite you to submit an abstract for our upcoming conference, taking place online on *12 October 2023*. Deadline for applications is *2 June 2023*. More info: https://ecrea.eu/event-5219347

This one-day conference seeks to explore the methods we use and approaches we take for understanding media and cultural production in the contemporary moment. The field of media production research has been growing rapidly over the last decades, as more and more researchers see the gains from studying the ‘backends’ of the media and cultural industries. At the same time, new challenges arise due to rapid shifts in the media and cultural industries, as well as forms and practices of media and cultural production and distribution. A sectoral shift in the media and cultural industries has introduced new actors, as well as new questions, theoretical impulses, empirical objects, and research tools and practices.

This conference explores many of the contemporary challenges to understanding the nature of media and cultural production by focusing on the research process, rather than the research findings. In doing so, we hope to encourage researchers to push the boundaries of production research, share useful research designs, as well as challenging moments and failed experiments, that we can still learn from.

We also have two excellent *keynote addresses*

/Epistemic crossroads – towards digital communication system analysis?/

Signe Sophus Lai & Sofie Flensburg, University of Copenhagen

/Analysing Cultural Platforms: Interfaces, Infrastructures, Recommender Systems. /

David Hesmondhalgh, University of Leeds

We invite scholars to present short papers or provocations on methods and methodology in the field of media and cultural production research. The presentations can reflect on one’s own research designs and methodologies, as well as on broader issues such as developing novel methods and approaches in the field, or conceptual and theoretical discussions on the practice of studying media and cultural production in recent years.

*To apply*

Submit a *150-300-word abstract* (excluding references) and a 100-word bio for each speaker (including email address and affiliation). In your submission, please indicate whether you are applying for a 15-minute presentation or a 7-minute provocation.

Please send your proposal to Vilde Schanke Sundet at (v.s.sundet /at/ media.uio.no) <mailto:(v.s.sundet /at/ media.uio.no)> .

*Costs*

This online conference will be free of charge.

*Deadline for submission*

Deadline for submission: *2 June 2023*. Decisions will be communicated no later than mid-August.