[Commlist] Call for Complete or Nearly Complete Chapters, Handbook on Games and Sex/Sexuality

Thu May 25 03:27:02 GMT 2023

Call for Complete or Nearly Complete Chapters, Handbook on Games and Sex/Sexuality

We have a contract with Bloomsbury Publishing for a handbook on the intersection of video games and sexual content and sexuality. Traditionally, handbooks are envisioned as comprehensive surveys of the discipline aimed at the library market. Volumes typically consist of about 25-35 contributions written by experts in their respective areas of the field. Much work has been done by our contributors already and we are working with them on final edits and revisions. However, to be blunt, attrition due to many factors has taken a toll on us and we are now a few chapters short of our target. Our publisher has given us permission to do a second call for contributors.

The concept behind a handbook is to compile a comprehensive assembly of essays in an attempt to map a discipline. As such we are primarily, but not necessarily exclusively, looking for synthesis/review essays that bring together existing research. We are not opposed to efforts which map out new directions in the field as long as they consider where we are as a basis for where we might/will be going. What makes this topic intriguing is that both the borders of sex and sexuality and the nature of video games resist easy categorization. Game Studies as an “academic field” is inherently interdisciplinary, creating both challenge and opportunity for how to conceptualize this (these) topic(s).

If you have a near publication quality paper to round out an impressive collection of chapters, we would love to work with you as a possible contributor. Please send it along with a short author(s) bio to Matthew Wysocki ((mwysocki /at/ flagler.edu)) AND Steffi Shook ((Steffi.Shook /at/ mville.edu)). While the publisher is working with us the original schedule was to have the completed manuscript to them by the end of summer.