[Commlist] Editorial Assistant post at Studies in Comics journal

Sun May 21 20:22:05 GMT 2023

We are excited to announce that we are looking for a new editorial assistant to join the team on/Studies in Comics/journal (Intellect Books), details below. Please send expressions of interest in the form of a covering email (of around 500 words setting out your suitability for the role) and CV (tostudiesincomics /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(studiesincomics /at/ gmail.com)>on or before 5pm BST on Friday 30 June 2023.

*//*

*/_Studies in Comics Editorial Assistant: Description of Role_/**//*

//

·/Monitoring the email inbox regularly throughout the year (ideally weekly; possibly twice weekly during periods of quick turnaround) and responding to enquiries or forwarding these to the editors, as required./

//

/For each issue (over a period of 4-5 months, sometimes overlapping):/

//

o/Directly after the deadline for submissions, entering all essential data into a spreadsheet (template provided) and distributing this to the editors to guide review./

o/Responding to all submitters regarding the status of their manuscript and sending out style guide to accepted contributors./

o/Forwarding anonymised article manuscripts to editorial board members for peer review, chasing their responses, and placing these into Dropbox; updating the spreadsheet to show overall yes/no verdict for all articles and sending this to the editors./

o/Sending collated, anonymised peer review feedback to contributors./

o/Collecting all revised articles and placing them into Dropbox for copyediting; forward manuscripts to publisher./

o/Distributing copyedited manuscripts to contributors and retaining copies of proofread manuscripts in Dropbox./

o/Distributing proofs of manuscripts to contributors along with publisher’s instructions for proof corrections./

o/Collating returned corrected proof files and corrections tables; returning files to publisher./

o/Checking the complete proof of the issue for typographical errors./

//

/(Readers will be aware that SiC often publishes a guest-edited issue each year in place of one of our general issues. In this instance the editorial assistant may take on a less active role, but will need to advise the guest editors of the above process, provide support as required, and act as liaison between editors and publisher.)/

//

/Liaise with Intellect to undertake training on their new online submission system (JAWS) with a view to implementing this in future./

There is a small annual payment of 30% of the journal royalties (currently approx. £700 GBP). You will also receive an inside cover credit and a free personal digital subscription to/Studies in Comics/.  The nature of journal publishing means that there may be many months where little is required from you, and even at our busy points, the above duties should require no more than 2-3 hours work per week. The role is primarily administrative; however, we would welcome your input and critical opinion on submitted work at all stages of the publication process.  As such, we hope this post would provide a great learning opportunity and indication of peer esteem for a postgraduate or early career researcher. There is no requirement to be based in the UK and we welcome applications worldwide. However, as this post primarily involves written communication as well as some copy-editing, facility with English language (especially grammar) is necessary.

The successful applicant will commence their duties in July 2023, for production of/SiC/14.2.  We will work closely with you during this initial issue and offer detailed guidance on the above process, along with any other support you may need.