[Commlist] Call for Contributions - Music and Antifascism: Past and Present

Sat May 06 18:28:44 GMT 2023

*AN INVITATION TO PROSPECTIVE CONTRIBUTORS*:

//

*/Music and Antifascism, Past and Present/***

*Prospectus to be submitted to the Routledge "Music and Politics" series*

**

*Editorial team: Ana Hofman (Slovenian Academy of Arts and Sciences),
Allyson Rogers (McGill University), James Wright (Carleton University)***

Our book, /Music and Antifascism, Past and Present, /brings together an international community of scholars to critically assess the role of music and sound in historic and contemporary struggles against fascism. The deep crisis of the capitalist project, the increasing concentration of wealth, and ongoing ecological devastation have been accompanied by a surge in ultranationalist, xenophobic, and authoritarian regimes throughout the world. The increasing prominence of far-right movements and the election of authoritarian leaders in Europe, Africa, Asia, the Middle East, the Indian subcontinent, and North and South America have emboldened grassroots nationalist-populist groups to escalate their activities. In recent years, far-right leaders have denied the seriousness of global public health crises and climate change, existential threats that require both urgent coordinated action and a global sense of collective responsibility and care. The gravity of the issues at stake, and the current momentum of social movements worldwide in the struggle against the resurgence of fascist ideologies make our topic a timely one.

Antifascist resistance has long connected people across borders and time-periods, and has served as the platform for emancipatory politicsmanifested in distinctive ways in specific socio-political contexts.As an expressive practice, music and sound have been mobilized as a strategy for actively confronting fascist ideologies, building solidarity, and memorializing antifascist legacies. Our book will constitute an international exchange of knowledge and perspectives on the histories and possibilities of antifascist resistance through music and sound.

We invite contributions on topics including (but not restricted to) areas of inquiry such as:

  * global perspectives on theorizing antifascism in music and sound
    studies;

  * music and sound in social movements, activism and
    political (self-)organization;
  * the relationships between antifascism and antiracism and their sonic
    constellations;
  * protest soundscapes and the production, (re)mediation, circulation,
    and preservation of protest music;

  * weaponization of music and sound; music and sound as defensive
    strategy;
  * antifascist music legacy and politics of remembrance;

  * music, censorship and propaganda.

We invite prospective contributors to send a 350-word abstract to our editorial team at (musicandantifascism /at/ gmail.com) (submission deadline: *Friday,* *June 16, 2023*).