[Commlist] Can we 'reduce, reuse, refuse'.. the digital? Digital Politics Summer School

Thu May 04 09:43:01 GMT 2023

  Can we 'reduce, reuse, refuse'.. the digital? Digital Politics Summer
  School, 5-6 June, 2023

<https://digitalpoliticsmanmet.bloggi.co/can-we-reduce-reuse-refuse-the-digital-digital-politics-summer-school-5-6-june-2023>

Our third online Digital Politics Summer School is here! The school will consist of keynotes and workshops, and will offer participants a possibility to participate in a follow-up publication. Attendance is free but places are limited - please click here <https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/can-we-reduce-reuse-refuse-the-digital-online-summer-school-tickets-629849375437> to register.

/Digital technologies can inflict substantial human and environmental harms: from extractivist economies of mining to toxic e-waste; from unsafe and oppressive working conditions to rising carbon and heat emissions and electricity use; from individal and collective surveillance to economic subordination and emotional depletion. These harms are unevenly distributed and deeply connected to social, economic and racial injustices. And yet, conversations about digital sustainability, climate change and environmental justice rarely use the logic of '*refuse, reduce, reuse, repurpose, recycle*' with regards to digital technologies. Scholarship and policy on digital sustainability continues to insist on green digital growth, instead of posing crucial questions of degrowth and reduction. This summer school brings together *principles of environmentally driven degrowth; decolonial and anti-racist environmental justice; and digital disengagement and opt out* to explore whether and how we can reduce, reuse and perhaps even refuse the digital./

/Please click here for Programme and speakers <https://digitalpoliticsmanmet.bloggi.co/can-we-reduce-reuse-refuse-the-digital-digital-politics-summer-school-5-6-june-2023>/