[Commlist] CFP - Memory, Nostalgia and Identity

Wed Apr 26 07:08:07 GMT 2023

  Call for Papers: Memory, Nostalgia and Identity: 6th Annual B-Film PGR
  Symposium

    Keynote Speaker: Professor Danielle Hipkins(University of Exeter)

    with Careers Workshop for PGRs led by Dr Cat Lester (University of
    Birmingham)

    12th June, University of Birmingham

**

We are pleased to announce the return of the B-Film Annual Postgraduate Researcher Symposium for 2023: ‘Film and Television: Memory, Nostalgia and Identity’. This year’s symposium will be focused on Film and Television memory. We invite scholars to present on their relationship to Film and Television media in terms of nostalgia, childhood, sentimentality, trauma, and how that has potentially affected, or affects, our scholarship today. The scope is broad and we welcome personal interpretations of the theme.

The symposium will be held in-person at the University of Birmingham, Edgbaston. Travel grants from areas within the United Kingdom may be possible, please indicate in your proposal if this is something that may be of interest to you.

We also welcome those who may wish to present online via Zoom or similar. Video essays and research in videographic form may also be submitted.

We are also extremely excited to be working with Dr Cat Lester (University of Birmingham), who will be running a Careers Workshop specifically tailored towards PGRs in the morning.

We welcome proposals from a range of areas and themes related to media memory. Possible topics may include, but are not limited to:

* Memories of cinema going and/or media consumption: VHS, cable, satellite
  * Media memory as identity forming
  * Culturally specific film memory
  * Fallibility of memory
  * Forgotten or repressed film
  * Analysis of media which deals with the theme of memory
  * The role of film in representing collective and individual memory

Papers will be limited to 15 minutes. Please submit a maximum 200 word abstract, and 100 word biography, to organisers Lauren Jones ((LXJ799 /at/ student.bham.ac.uk)) and Ella Wright ((EVW553 /at/ student.bham.ac.uk)) by *_30th April 2023,_* for notification early May, for symposium in June.