[Commlist] cfp: Sanctuary Songs: Refugees and asylum-seekers in/and the media

Thu Apr 20 12:45:33 GMT 2023

Sanctuary Songs: Refugees and asylum-seekers in/and the media – Newcastle University, 20 June, 2023 <https://conferences.ncl.ac.uk/sanctuarysongs2023/>

We are pleased to invite you to a one-day symposium which looks at the relationships between the media and the refugee and asylum-seeker experience which is taking place during UNHCR Refugee Week in June 2023. The experiences of refugees and asylum-seekers remain salient in and for the media as journalists report from one conflict zone to another, with Russia’s invasion of Ukraine adding immediacy to the coverage of war in Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria, (re)animating public and political debate about how ‘we’ should respond.

The symposium brings together academics, activists, journalists and creatives to discuss and demonstrate the various ways in which this crucial relationship plays out in the media, not only as a framing device of the ‘other’ but also how social media platforms are being harnessed to provide spaces for alternative narratives of lived experience to be articulated and shared.

As well as parallel sessions running through the day, we are also delighted to be joined by our two keynote speakers, Professor Susanne Fengler and Dr Vivienne Francis. The final schedule will be posted to the conference website <https://conferences.ncl.ac.uk/sanctuarysongs2023/> soon.

While the symposium is a one-day event taking place on Tuesday 20^th June, for those delegates who will be arriving on Monday 19^th June, we are hosting a reception from 5-7pm to which everyone is invited.

Alongside the academic conference, we are also organising a three-day cultural festival from Wednesday 21-Friday 23 June, details of which will be posted to the conference website <https://conferences.ncl.ac.uk/sanctuarysongs2023/> when confirmed.  Please note that the conference is in-person only, although we will be recording the keynotes and uploading to the website. The delegate fees are: full price £60; unwaged £40 which include refreshments, lunch and the evening reception on 19 June.

Please click here to register. <https://webstore.ncl.ac.uk/conferences-and-events/faculty-of-humanities-social-sciences-hass/school-of-arts-and-cultures/sanctuary-songs-refugees-and-asylumseekers-inand-the-media>

There are a small number of fee waivers available for members of local refugee and sanctuary-seeker communities. Please contact us at (sanctuarysongs2023 /at/ newcastle.ac.uk) <mailto:(sanctuarysongs2023 /at/ newcastle.ac.uk)> if you would like to be considered for a bursary.

We have also arranged discounts with two local hotels for people attending the symposium, so go to this link www.newcastlegateshead.com/SanctuarySongs23 <http://www.newcastlegateshead.com/SanctuarySongs23> to view the hotels and to book.  However, please note that the discount is time-limited so if you do want to attend and book hotel accommodation, please do that asap.

We look forward to welcoming you to Newcastle University, a University of Sanctuary in a City of Sanctuary.

For more information, please contact Martin Heslop: (M.S.Heslop2 /at/ newcastle.ac.uk) <mailto:(M.S.Heslop2 /at/ newcastle.ac.uk)>  Please also let us (Martin) know if you want to attend the reception on 19 June to avoid the production of a wine lake and nibbles mountain.

*KEYNOTE INFORMATION*

*DR SUSANNE FENGLER*is Professor for International Journalism at TU Dortmund University, and Director of the Erich Brost Institute for International Journalism in Dortmund, Germany.

*Keynote title:*Reporting on migrants and refugees.

*DR VIVIENNE FRANCIS*is Reader and Senior Lecturer in Social Justice Journalism and Knowledge Exchange at London College of Communication.

*Keynote note title*: From news producer to Uber driver: valuing and empowering the experiences of the “Other” through social justice journalism.