[Commlist] Countering Online Hate: Tactics and Strategies for Media Activism event

Thu Apr 20 09:38:11 GMT 2023

Colleagues may be interested in this event on mediated activism with speakers from various stakeholder groups,

*Countering Online Hate: Tactics and Strategies for Media Activism*

Wednesday 21^st June 2023, Keele University.

This event brings together academics and activists who are interested in countering online hate speech.We will be exploring the possibilities and limitations of online counternarratives, particularly on Twitter and other public facing platforms. As a platform, Twitter’s affordances can offer visibility to voices and ideas that are marginalised in mainstream media and mobilise solidarities.However, this potential is also limited by its political economy that monetises hate, and the speed which events turnover on the platform that can result in weak solidarities. We will explore these issues and discuss potential countermeasures and strategies for activists working in this context.

In the morning, we will be sharing some findings from our AHRC project/‘Contesting Islamophobia: Representation and Appropriation in Mediated Activism’// https://www.keele.ac.uk/humanities/study/mcc/research/contestingislamophobia/ <https://www.keele.ac.uk/humanities/study/mcc/research/contestingislamophobia/>/.In this talk we will demonstrate the dynamics of Islamophobic hate speech on Twitter across several trigger events: Brexit, the Christchurch terror attack and Covid, explore the networks through which this is expressed, and share the findings from interviews with activists who have engaged in these conversations. We will engage Muslim advocacy groups,including organisations who have informed and collaborated in the project’s research questions and design,in responding to these findings.

In the afternoon, activist and policy groups will share their insights into countering hate speech online. We will then invite you to participate in a discussion/workshop on how to effectively navigate messy digital spaces and build allies towards challenging hate.

*Participants/speakers include*:

*/Elizabeth Poole, Eva Giraud, Ed de Quincey and John Richardson/*: AHRC #Contesting Islamophobia project

*/Arun Kundnani/*: Author of ‘The Muslims are Coming’, ‘The End of Tolerance’ and ‘What is anti-racism?’

*/Center for Countering Digital Hate, Community Policy Forum, Demos, Get the Trolls Out, Institute of Strategic Dialogue, MEND, Muslim Council of Britain, plus others/*

*/
/*

/The event will be held in person on the Keele University Campus, where refreshments and lunch will be provided. Travel grants will also be considered for those who don’t have institutional support.*For the face- to- face event only please register here:*/

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/countering-online-hate-tactics-and-strategies-for-media-activism-tickets-602180928367 <https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/countering-online-hate-tactics-and-strategies-for-media-activism-tickets-602180928367>

/For those unable to attend for any reason, online attendance will be facilitated./

To attend online please contact
(j.e.richardson /at/ keele.ac).ukwho will send you a link in due course.

Full programme will be released nearer the time.Please e-mail John Richardson with any questions.

Funded by the AHRC.