[Commlist] CFP "Transnational families and media practices: methods, ethics and critical approaches"

Thu Apr 20 09:26:32 GMT 2023

on behalf of the Diaspora, Migration and the Media and the International and Intercultural Communication sections of ECREA, I would like to remind you that there are less than two weeks left to submit an abstract for our joint conference on:

*Transnational families and media practices: methods, ethics and critical approaches*.

*Venue: Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands*
*
*Hosted by the Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication and the Department of Media and Communication*
*
*Date: 7-9 December 2023 *
*
_Submission deadline: 28 April 2023_
_
_https://ecrea.eu/event-5179455 <https://ecrea.eu/event-5179455>
_

Transnational families, through their ability to cross borders, connect cultures, expand the meanings and limits of national belonging, and negotiate the cultural, linguistic and psychological challenges of migration, have become exemplary models of “mobile lives” (Elliott and Urry, 2010). Transnational families offer insights into the contradictions and complexities of interculturality (Dervin, 2017) as a lived reality permeating more and less intimate interpersonal experiences. The centrality of transnational family communication in today’s world is enhanced by everyday digital media usage, the ubiquity of portable devices and the new technical affordances of platforms and apps. Transnational families therefore help us apprehend historical transformations connected to mediated experiences of crossing borders and interculturality.

While the attention of scholars has intensified around how transnational families both shape and are shaped by the (urban) spaces they leave and enter, we contend that more attention needs to be paid to the methodological and ethical challenges researchers face when studying transnational families and communities. This conference provides an opportunity for scholars to discuss the assumptions underpinning their research and to share critical reflections on the ethical responsibilities that researchers have when observing transnational families and communities, including through digital platforms and their connection with mobility processes in and through cities.

We invite scholars and PhD researchers to submit abstract proposals that engage with new theoretical, methodological and ethical approaches to the study of transnational families and their communication practices in Europe and beyond. We also welcome submissions that can provide historical perspectives into the (dis)continuities characterizing transnational families and their media practices. Contributions that call into question Eurocentric forms of knowledge through decolonial narratives and frameworks are especially welcome.
*
*
*Keynote speakers:*

Professor Myria Georgiou (The London School of Economics and Political Science, UK) Associate Professor Amanda Paz Alencar (Erasmus University Rotterdam, the Netherlands)

For the list of potential topics and the submission guidelines please click here <https://ecrea.eu/event-5179455>

In addition to the conference, we will be hosting a joint workshop for PhD students on the 6th of December 2023, in Rotterdam. The workshop will focus upon innovative methods in studying transnational families/communities, digital media usage, and ethical challenges associated with this. The separate application for this one-day workshop can be found here <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1OEPKIbFtwRh7jE0ckALHMgTyt3Zc8AS16vfZxV9JIUs/edit>.

Please note that it is possible for Doctoral researchers to attend both the workshop and the conference, or only one event.

The conference will be in person only. Proposal acceptance notification: mid-June.