[Commlist] Care-ful Museums call for papers

Tue Apr 04 07:26:57 GMT 2023

  ‘Care-ful Museums’

        29 June 2023, Nottingham Trent University
        Keynote speaker: Esme Ward, Director of Manchester Museum

        *
        *

        *Call for Papers*

*
*

Multiple versions of ‘care’ demonstrate how hard the word works: being careful, taking care, caring for, self-care, carelessness, careworn and care-free. The word ‘care’ has its etymological roots in Old English, the noun means; concern, anxiety, sorrow, grief or trouble and the verb to care signifies; to be anxious, to grieve or to feel concern.

The museum as a site of care may seem surprising in terms of people-care despite its traditional function to care for objects. How are museums reconciling these different types of care within a contemporary context of ongoing crisis? To what extent have museums in the United Kingdom and elsewhere become safety nets and spaces of sanctuary and support, filling a gap left by a shrinking welfare state? Museums are moving into this vacuum of care to provide the human right to participate in cultural life and enjoy the arts yet must do so whilst having funding and resources slashed. How can museums become more socially inclusive, caring institutions not simply in terms of public engagement but in their governance and day-to-day management?

*The Centre for the Study of Inequality, Culture and Difference*are pleased to announce a one-day conference on the theme of ‘Care-ful Museums’ on Thursday 29th June 2023. We invite abstracts for 15-20 minute papers taking up any aspect of the concept of ‘care’ within the space of the museum, gallery or heritage site. We also welcome alternative formats such as group panels, short films or other creative interventions.

Potential topics might include but are not limited to:

- The museum as safe space or site of sanctuary

- Museums as spaces of hospitality

- Museum responses to COVID-19 and other crises

- Challenging perceptions of elitism

- Decolonial praxis as care work in the (postcolonial) museum

- The emotional labour of museum professionals and programming facilitators

- Developing sustainable care practices

- Small museums and community engagement

- The participatory vs. predatory museum

Please submit a 250 word abstract and 50 word biography to the organisers, Tamsin Greaves and Semanur Darbaz at*(tamsin.greaves2022 /at/ my.ntu.ac.uk)*by April 24th, 2023.

We will confirm successful submissions by May 12th, 2023.