[Commlist] cfp: Helsinki Conference on Emotions, Populism and Polarisation (HEPP4) (Conference)

Thu Mar 30 21:20:36 GMT 2023

Helsinki, Finland

Date: 10/12/2023 - 12/12/2023
Call for papers ending on: 1/05/2023

In the recent years, HEPPsters have been engaging in themes of populist
mobilisation in Central and Eastern Europe, particularly the relationship
between time and space, and how this relationship informs the construction of
‘Us’. In the previous edition, HEPP3 paid special attention to Russia’s
invasion of Ukraine. In 2023, this theme is expanded to reflect on the rise
of ethno-nationalism. We are here also drawing on our Horizon2020 projecton
Deradicalisation in Europe and beyond, where the key thematic is social
exclusion as the driver for violent radicalisation, emergence of grievance,
alienation, and polarisation. We also want to investigate the emergence of
religious populism, the formation of epistemic communities, and logics of
datafied forms of communication that also deal with polarisation. We hopeto
incite theoretical and empirical discussions of these themes and more.

The Conference strives to assemble a wide range of international researchers
at all career stages, with the aim of examining populism, particularly from a
discursive and cultural approach. We welcome contributions from a wide range
of fields. All submitted papers will be considered for our Working Papers
series.

The Conference encourages papers that approach the following and related
themes:

Political (Mis)use of Time and Space
	(De)radicalisation, Radicalism and Violent Extremism
	(Ethnic) Nationalism and Populism
	Misogyny, Xenophobia and Racism
	Euroscepticism, Europhilia, and Eurocentrism
	(Post-)Pandemic Populisms
	Epistemic Populisms and Academic Knowledge
	Populist logics of Datafication and Populism
	Religion and Populism
	Populist Dynamics and the Global South
	North-South Relations and (Post)Colonialism
	Imperialism and Emotions
	Affects and Emotions in Politics and Policy
	Agonism, Antagonism, and the “Us”
	Gender in Populism and Polarisation
	Cultural Populism and Populist Challenges on Culture
	Political humour and populist rhetoric
	Political Communication and Media in Times of War and Crisis
	Populist Dynamics and the Logic of Populism
Please send in your paper submissions through this form [1] by 2nd May 2023.
The submission must include your name and institution, a title, a 100-150
word abstract, and five keywords. Please send your panel proposals through
this form [2] by 2nd May 2023. We encourage paying attention to diversityin
the proposals. The Conference will be held primarily on site, with the
possibility of presenting online.

The Conference fee is 200 euros, with a discounted fee of 100 euros for
doctoral researchers, non-employed researchers, and colleagues from the
Global South and Central and Eastern Europe. Beyond this, fee exemptions will
be available in certain cases. If you feel that you require a fee exemption,
please email (hepp /at/ helsinki.fi) [3].