[Commlist] Job: Research Fellow - Viral Memories: from HIV to COVID-19 and beyond

Wed Mar 29 04:06:58 GMT 2023

Job opportunity at the University of Edinburgh, for a 0.8FTE (4 days a week), 28-month contract, Research Fellow in the ESRC-funded "Viral Memories: from HIV to COVID-19 and beyond" led by Dr Jaime Garcia-Iglesias from the Usher Institute. You can find all details about this post in the link below and may direct enquiries to (jgarcia6 /at/ ed.ac.uk) <mailto:(jgarcia6 /at/ ed.ac.uk)>

https://elxw.fa.em3.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1001/job/6928/?utm_medium=jobshare

+++

Job Identification
6928
Job Category
Academic
Locations
14-25 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh, EH8 9LN, GB
Posting Date
03/24/2023, 04:44 AM
Apply Before
04/14/2023, 10:59 AM
Degree Level
Post-Doctorate
Job Schedule
Part time
Health and Safety Requirements
No key hazards identified for this post
Criminal Record Check
No criminal record check required
Contract Type
Fixed Term

Job Description

UE07: £36,333.00 to £43,155.00 Per Annum Pro Rata (Please note due to funding, appointment will be at lower end of scale)

CMVM / MGPHS / USHER Institute

Fixed Term Contract: Part Time - 28 Hours per Week

Fixed Term Contract Duration: 28 Months - Available from 01/05/2023 to 31/08/2025

Location: 23 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh and Usher Building at Edinburgh Bioquarter (from early 2024).

The Centre for Biomedicine, Self and Society, at the Usher Institute within The University of Edinburgh is looking for a research fellow to work in the ESRC-funded “Viral Memories: from HIV to COVID-19 and beyond” project led by Dr Jaime Garcia Iglesias. The project will explore how COVID-19 has altered gay men’s experiences of risk and wellbeing, comparing it to the changes caused by the AIDS crisis in the 1980s and 90s. It seeks to understand how gay men have turned to their experiences and memories of HIV to understand and live through COVID-19. Through interviews with younger and older gay men, the project analyse how they remember HIV during COVID-19, and how their memories and experiences of HIV help them navigate COVID-19 risk in the UK. The project includes working with community organizations to develop better ways of communicating about risk and writing a new chapter in the history of gay communities.

The Opportunity:

We are seeking a Research Fellow to support the project and work alongside the principal investigator. This role will be based at the University of Edinburgh. The person appointed will have access to a wide array of career-development opportunities (including funds for conference attendance and research visits) and will have access to a mentoring scheme.

Informal enquiries may be directed to Dr Jaime Garcia-Iglesias, Principal Investigator ((jgarcia6 /at/ ed.ac.uk)).

Your skills and attributes for success:
• PhD (or equivalent) in relevant social science subject (e.g. sociology, anthropology) or humanities (e.g. history, cultural studies), or able to demonstrate comparable experience.
•    Knowledge of research approaches to social sciences.
• Ability to produce written deliverables for academic, public and policy audiences • Experience of conducting qualitative research and semi-structured interviews
•    Knowledge of sexual health, history of HIV/AIDS, and sexuality

Click here for a copy of the full job description.

Please include your CV and a supporting statement with details of how you meet the knowledge, skills and experience required for this post.

As a valued member of our team you can expect:

An exciting, positive, creative, challenging and rewarding place to work. We give you support, nurture your talent and reward success. You will benefit from a competitive reward package and a wide range of staff benefits, which includes a generous holiday entitlement, a defined benefits pension scheme, staff discounts, family friendly initiatives, flexible working and much more. Access our staff benefits page for further information and use our reward calculator to find out the total value of pay and benefits provided.

The University of Edinburgh holds a Silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our commitment to advance gender equality in higher education. We are members of the Race Equality Charter and we are also Stonewall Scotland Diversity Champions, actively promoting LGBT equality.

If invited for interview you will be required to evidence your right to work in the UK. Further information is available on our right to work webpages.

The University is able to sponsor the employment of international workers in this role. If successful, an international applicant requiring sponsorship to work in the UK will need to satisfy the UK Home Office’s English Language requirements and apply for and secure a Skilled Worker Visa.

Unless stated otherwise the closing time for applications is 11:59pm GMT. If you are applying outside the UK the closing time on our adverts automatically adjusts to your browsers local time zone.

Work with us | Usher Institute - where inquiring minds work together to improve lives across the world.

Join our growing team of academics and professional services staff and work in a vibrant, multi-disciplinary environment. Our vision is to catalyse the transformation of health in society by working with people, populations and their data.

Our greatest asset is our people, working together to improve public health using evidence-based research.

We are a key applied and translational arm of the Edinburgh Medical School, within the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine at The University of Edinburgh. Working with partners across UK and international universities, health and care providers, policymakers, industry and the public is central to our highly collaborative ethos.
About Us
As a world-leading research-intensive University, we are here to address tomorrow’s greatest challenges. Between now and 2030 we will do that with a values-led approach to teaching, research and innovation, and through the strength of our relationships, both locally and globally.
About the Team

The Usher Institute works with people, populations and their data to understand and advance the health of individuals and populations through innovative collaborations in a global community. Our Director is Professor Aziz Sheikh OBE, and we sit within the Edinburgh Medical School in the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine at The University of Edinburgh.

Working with partners across the NHS, policymakers, industry partners and the public is central to our highly collaborative ethos. Three core research centres in Global Health, Medical Informatics and Population Health Sciences are at the heart of the Usher Institute; also home to the Edinburgh Clinical Trials Unit and a bustling General Practice, the Mackenzie Medical Centre.

The Usher Institute is a truly interdisciplinary environment. Around 350 researchers and support staff with expertise in a varied range of methodologies and topics contribute to world-leading research in global health, population health sciences and medical informatics. Our research expertise is at the heart of the excellent educational experience we offer in a wide range of taught and research postgraduate programmes, both online and on-campus, our programme of continuing professional development and in our contribution to the undergraduate medical degree.

We maintain an open, engaging and dynamic environment and welcome collaborations from around the globe.

To find out more visit https://www.ed.ac.uk/usher