[Commlist] Cultural Heritage Data School 2023 in Cambridge (Short Course)

Sun Mar 26 06:05:48 GMT 2023

Cultural Heritage Data School 2023 in Cambridge (Short Course) (17–18 April)

We are delighted to present a new format of the established Data Schools programme, organised by Cambridge Digital Humanities. For two days in Cambridge University, students will learn new methods and theories in Digital Humanities from leading academics and practitioners in the field. They will also have the possibility to visit the Library and some special collections at the University of Cambridge.

We aim to bring together participants from the wider Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums (GLAM) sector and academia to explore the methods used to create, visualise and analyse digital archives and collections.

At the Data School you will learn by doing during in-person sessions and other activities. The school is intensive, but resources will be available to students to go over what they learned in the taught sessions. We encourage anyone working with cultural heritage data to apply!

Modules will cover the following content:

* Principles of Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums (GLAM) Imaging
  * Digital Spaces
  * Working with digital images at scale
  * Machine vision – a critical introduction
  * Digital Research Design and the Project Lifecycle
  * Collecting and Wrangling Textual Data
  * Text Analysis and Visualisation

Students will learn from leading researchers working on projects at the forefront of tackling those issues, in practical ways as well as critically addressing theoretical assumptions about these practices, equipping them with tools, methods, and ideas to face the challenges GLAM institutions are facing in the ever-changing digital environment.

Participants will also have the opportunity to have horizontal discussions and networking with peers and researchers from Cambridge University.

We will visit the Digital Content Unit at Cambridge University Library, have hands-on exercises with teachers available on-site to help, and go out for dinner.

Applications will be considered on a first come first served basis until all the places are filled, so we encourage you to fill out your application as soon as possible. More information and registration in the following link:

<https://www.cdh.cam.ac.uk/events/36038/>

https://www.cdh.cam.ac.uk/events/36038/ <https://www.cdh.cam.ac.uk/events/36038/>