[Commlist] Call for chapters: Creative Methods for Critical Event Studies

Fri Mar 24 15:03:35 GMT 2023

*Call for chapters*

*Creative Methods for Critical Event Studies*

*Abstracts of up to 300 words by 26 May 2023 should be sent to:*
Louise Platt (L.Platt /at/ mmu.ac.uk) <mailto:(L.Platt /at/ mmu.ac.uk)>

Rebecca Finkel (rfinkel /at/ qmu.ac.uk) <mailto:(rfinkel /at/ qmu.ac.uk)>

Briony Sharp (Briony.Sharp /at/ uws.ac.uk) <mailto:(Briony.Sharp /at/ uws.ac.uk)>

Events, in their multitude of forms, are generally understood to be creative endeavours (Silvers, 2012). From design through to implementation of spectacle, they draw on creative skills to deliver experiences that entertain and inspire the audience. Thus, it can be argued that creativity in events requires creativity in researching events. It is from this basis that we, as phenomenological researchers of experiential environments, inquire, are we actually employing similarly creative approaches to research events? In her comprehensive assessment of creative methods, Kara (2020) comments that creativity in research can help us address societal questions that traditional methods cannot, but they are no less robust. Thus far, within event and festival studies, we are yet to see a comprehensive assessment of the use of creative methods. This book will fill that gap whilst complimenting the work on research methods for critical event studies (Lamond and Platt, 2016; Pernecky & Lück, 2013).

Creative research methods are not simply confined to arts-based methods and nor are they always qualitative in approach. Creativity is also not just about the data collection or dissemination. Like all good research that is robust and well designed, creativity must emerge from the research question and the context of the work. Creativity is not a bolt-on or an afterthought. Creativity can be both methodology /and/ method. In this regard, using creative research methods emerges from the onto-epistemological foundations of the research

Traditional research methods have the potential to constrain researchers from understanding complex social issues around events and festivals. They also can marginalise some participants from having a voice in research. It is our contention that employing creative methodologies/methods in how we study events and festivals can facilitate more inclusive approaches to research that do not favour dominant hegemonic narratives and provide diverse perspectives. It is through richer findings that critical event studies can advance as a subject field.

For this edited collection, we are seeking contributions from across disciplines and methodologies. We are particularly interested in what falls/emerges between the cracks, including new pathways or lessons learned from researching during the pandemic and other challenging landscapes. Each chapter will examine creative methodology and/or methods in the event and festival context using case study example(s), or address issues associated with using creative research methods (e.g., ethics). We would like each chapter to also provide a simple ‘how to’ set of guidelines to help researchers to consider employing creative methods in their own work, or a series of ‘think points’ to develop ethical practices. In particular, this will be useful for students studying events and festivals at undergraduate and postgraduate level and provide them with empirical as well as conceptual guidance.

Topics/approaches/themes could include but not be limited to::

  * Arts-based methods
  * Autoethnography
  * Memory work
  * Visual methods (photo elicitation/photo voice, filmmaking,
    illustration, etc.)
  * Zine making
  * Participatory approaches
  * Creative mapping
  * Mobile/go-along/walking methods
  * Digital/technology
  * Object elicitation
  * Storytelling
  * Ethics of creative research
  * Integrity in the research process
  * Using creative methods in feminist research
  * Using creative methods as decolonisation
  * Using creative methods to engage marginalised voices
  * Using creative methods as activism

This proposed book will be submitted to the Routledge Critical Event Studies Reseach Series for publication in 2024.

This message and its attachment(s) are intended for the addressee(s) only and should not be read, copied, disclosed, forwarded or relied upon by any person other than the intended addressee(s) without the permission of the sender. If you are not the intended addressee, you must not take any action based on this message and its attachment(s) nor must you copy or show them to anyone. If you have received this email in error, please inform the sender immediately and delete all copies of it.

It is your responsibility to ensure that this message and its attachment(s) are scanned for viruses or other defects. Queen Margaret University does not accept liability for any loss or damage which may result from this message or its attachment(s), or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent. Email is not a secure medium. Email traffic entering Queen Margaret University's system is subject to routine monitoring and filtering by Queen Margaret University.