[Commlist] CFP: Big Pictures - Murals, Billboards, and Urban Interventions

Thu Mar 23 10:03:45 GMT 2023

Please consider submitting a proposal or project video to our conference ‘Big Pictures: Murals Billboards, and Urban Intervention’s taking place at the Wilson School of Design in Vancouver, May 5-7. We will be extending the deadline to Friday, March 31^st . More information and link for submission can be found on our website:

https://wordpress.kpu.ca/bigpictures/ <https://wordpress.kpu.ca/bigpictures/>

+++

The prevalence of imagery in the built environment plays a meaningful role in our experience of urban space. The nature of that imagery — the content depicted, colours contrasted against sky or concrete, text displayed to sell, alert, or inspire — all works to construct how we understand the values and expectations of our surroundings. Who gets to create that imagery? What narratives and voices are amplified?

Big Pictures: Murals, Billboards, and Urban Interventions is a conference of art and design taking place at the Wilson School of Design at KPU, Richmond, and in venues around Vancouver, BC from May 5–7, 2023.

We are seeking submissions for 300-word proposals presenting projects or research for our in-person panels. Each panel presentation will run approximately 10-15 minutes, with supplementary time for questions.

In addition, we welcome pre-recorded digital submissions of project-based work. These will be projected during the conference, as well as available for viewing on the Big Pictures website. Videos can be any length up to a maximum of five minutes. They can include text and/or audio — with closed captioning for any narration. Video can focus mainly on documenting projects, or take a more creative approach.

POTENTIAL THEMES

Festivals, exhibitions, and inspiring interactivity

Decolonizing urban space, images and indigenization

Urban interventions and community building

Creating a sense of place, local voices and collaborative projects

Billboards, advertising, and imagery that sells

Screens, projections and transitory visuals

Heritage, personal narrative, collective memory

Media and augmented reality projects in the built environment

Architecture and unexpected imagery

Messages in neon, signage, and text installations

Living walls and immersive landscape

Placemaking through Play

Making data visible

Activating temporary and transitional public spaces

:.