[Commlist] Critical Technology Studies – PhD Winter Workshop

Sun Mar 19 16:39:17 GMT 2023

*Call for EOIs*

Critical Technology Studies – PhD Winter  Workshop  - 10-11 July

Date: 10-11 July, 2023

Place: University of Sydney Law School

Satellite event of the ADM+S 2023 Symposium

https://www.admscentre.org.au/event/phd-winter-workshop-in-critical-technologies-studies/ <https://www.admscentre.org.au/event/phd-winter-workshop-in-critical-technologies-studies/>

Submit an EOI <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1N466L2mODp6isTp8YEegeWpxwic2sj3pC3lC-4ibmLQ/edit?ts=64067b4f>

*A two-day PhD-led workshop for an emerging cohort of interdisciplinary researchers across Australia and the Pacific conducting critical studies of technology Come share knowledge, build a network and map our work.*

Technologies of artificial intelligence, automated decision-making and machine learning have moved rapidly from obscurity to ubiquity, are entangled with the social, scientific, economic and political.  As objects of study, they are hard to describe and theorise, subverting established research methods and modes of communication. Moreover, the PhD process is solitary, but the challenges of critical technology studies are immense and need our collective efforts. Many of us work across disciplines and are widely spread across institutions.

With all this in mind, we are convening an emerging generation of PhDs over two days, in a collaborative and creative forum of individual and group working sessions, reading and discussion, and evening social events. The workshop is a satellite event of the ADM+S 2023 Symposium and follows an earlier event held at ANU in 2022. In the days following the workshop, participants will also have opportunities to join several events in conjunction with PhD/ECR networks from ADM+S and AusSTS.

*Want to be a part of the workshop?*

If you would like to join us, please submit an expression of interest by *14 April 2023*. The event is open to students enrolled in a PhD or other Doctoral program at a university in Australia, Aotearoa/NZ or other institution in the Pacific. You should be one year or more through your PhD, with your candidature confirmed and a well-developed and comprehensively designed research project.

We have 30 places available for this workshop and participants will be selected through expression of interest (EOI). If you would like to join us, please submit your EOI by 14 April 2023. Travel scholarships are available (see EOI form for more details).

Submit an EOI <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1N466L2mODp6isTp8YEegeWpxwic2sj3pC3lC-4ibmLQ/edit?ts=64067b4f>

*Organisers: Glen Berman (ANU), Ned Cooper (ANU), Zoe Horn (WSU), Libby Young (USyd).*