[Commlist] cfp: Camp Geographies - RGS-IBG Conference 2023

Sat Mar 04 10:24:40 GMT 2023

*CfP: Camp Geographies*
RGS-IBG Conference, 29 August – 1 September, London, UK.

*Session organisers: Joe Jukes and Josep A. Chanza*
*Session Sponsor: Space, Sexualities and Queer Research Group (SSQRG)*
*Key words: queer, camp, sexuality, cultural geography, performance*
*
*
What happens to geography when it appears ‘mincing and screaming’ (Dyer, 2002:49)? Or when its aim is to ‘dethrone the serious’ (Sontag, 2018:26)? This is the proposition of a /camp geography/, one that takes an ‘ironic perspective on socially authorized (or “serious”) values’ (Halperin, 2012:201) of the discipline. Camp and its related aesthetic modes – /kitsch, pastiche, cheese/ – come to life in queer spaces and subcultural relations, literary criticism, anthropology and cultural studies (cf. Newton, 1979). What then, for geography?

We invite submissions that explore camp’s relation to space, that posit kitschy geographies that exceed, flourish or flop into the discipline. We are interested in the ethical limits of camp as a simultaneously subcultural and universal phenomenon, asking: what can the queer geographer do by recognising something or someone as ‘camp’, particularly when that ‘camp’ is perspectival and playful? How do we notice camp in environments and relations in which it is typically overlooked? What are the political imports of camp?

This session provides the opportunity for geographers to consider the potential of queer theoretical concepts that have been less taken up in our own discipline. Similarly, we wonder about the utility to geographers of ‘what we (queerly) know’ as camp to instances beyond gay and lesbian communities. All in all, what is the ‘value of camp’ for ‘geographical knowledge production’ (Binnie, 1997:228)? We invite and look forward to papers, performances and other forms of presenting that consider:

  * *Camp in translation*
  * *Camp **/et al: /**kitsch, pastiche, exaggeration, or cheese*
  * *Camp potential, camp destructivity*
  * *Historical camp*
  * *Black camp*
  * *Gender and camp*
  * *Generations of camp*
  * *Camp as research method*
  * *Geographies of camp excess and failure*
  * *Camp as dissidence*
  * *Pastiche and / or parodic spatial practices*

For an extended version of the list above, including questions and provocations, please see: bit.ly/CampGeographies <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.bit.ly/CampGeographies__;!!IWcW7C1FDU-5!ZbscjFJAfzjc0ehyo4P-WTunBW5MEqJtV7E4dpkHDDyHA8wL9W7bWlFedW_8YbmbqMGtxVkQGRvBM1NS0cbJl6-zTddZ4Q$>

Please send 200 word abstracts to (J.Jukes3 /at/ brighton.ac.uk) <mailto:(J.Jukes3 /at/ brighton.ac.uk)> or (jalmude2 /at/ ed.ac.uk) <mailto:(jalmude2 /at/ ed.ac.uk)>  by the 12^th  March, 2023. Include in your submission your name, affiliation, and contact details, and feel free to direct any questions to these addresses.

For more information about the RGS-IBG 2023 conference, see: https://www.rgs.org/research/annual-international-conference/ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.rgs.org/research/annual-international-conference/__;!!IWcW7C1FDU-5!ZbscjFJAfzjc0ehyo4P-WTunBW5MEqJtV7E4dpkHDDyHA8wL9W7bWlFedW_8YbmbqMGtxVkQGRvBM1NS0cbJl69sTqrTAw$>
_Works Cited_
Binnie, J., 1997. Coming out of Geography: towards a queer epistemology?. /Environment and Planning D: Society and Space/, /15/(2), pp.223-237.
Dyer, R., 2002. /The Culture of Queers/. London: Routledge
Halperin, D. M., 2012. /How to be Gay./ Harvard University Press.
Newton, E., 1979. /Mother Camp: Female Impersonators in America. /Univ. Chicago Press.
Sontag, S., 2018 [1961]. /Notes on camp/. Penguin UK.