[Commlist] Conference Announcement: Bilgi IPCC 2023- Interdisciplinary PhD Communication Conference

Tue Feb 28 16:00:51 GMT 2023

Bilgi IPCC 2023 – Interdisciplinary PhD Communication Conference

Theme: Communication, Technology and Experience: Crossroads

26-27 May 2021, Online

We are excited to invite you to the 2023 edition of  Bilgi IPCC – Interdisciplinary PhD Communication Conference, realised by a group of early career researchers within the PhD in Communication Program at Istanbul Bilgi University, Turkey, under the theme "Communication, Technology and Experience: Crossroads".

For detailed information, please visit: ipcc.bilgi.edu.tr <http://ipcc.bilgi.edu.tr/>

+++

IPCC 2023: In search of crossroads

Bringing together a variety of concepts, fields, methods, and ideas around broader topics, BİLGİ IPCC – Interdisciplinary PhD Communication Conference opts for further inclusivity in its fifth edition and points towards the intersections that bind seemingly disparate threads. Rather than fixed titles and definitions, the focus here is on a comprehensive interpretation of communication, technology, and experience, including their separate journeys and how they interact with each other. As a song made popular by collectively chanting football fans reminds us, if we walk with hope in our hearts, we would never walk alone. And as we walk towards the crossroads between communication, technology, and experience, our hope is to meet others who are ready to connect their journeys with ours.

Born out of the collective efforts of students, candidates, alumni, and teachers within the PhD in Communication programme at Istanbul Bilgi University, the IPCC prioritises bringing together scholars from various disciplines and at different stages in their careers. We, therefore, invite all PhD students or candidates as well as early-career researchers with PhDs earned in the last 5 years, who are interested in joining us at the crossroads of various fields of interest, in order to simultaneously learn from and teach fellow scholars.
IPCC: A history

‘Engaged pedagogy’, the term coined by bell hooks (1994), defines a journey. Much like most scholarly endeavours, this is a journey that begins in the classroom. Then again, unlike most scholarly endeavours, this is a journey that also spans beyond educational spaces. It encourages those who were once students to adopt reflective and critical perspectives that challenge conventional learning practices, transgressing the dichotomy of learner and teacher. As learners are empowered to move beyond the spatial confines of classrooms, a sense of mutual learning is born out of this fluid and interactive process.

Now let us imagine different starting points for this journey. Ready to take this journey are scholars from various fields within social sciences. They may not start moving at the same time, the roads they are on may not be equally long, and the interests behind pursuing this trail may not be similar. Still, they find themselves arriving at an intersection. This is a point where their respective journeys meet one another, a point that gives them the opportunity to continue moving together, a point where they can renegotiate their roles as learners and/or teachers through a framework of engaged pedagogy. This is a point of intersection where multiple scholarly endeavours cross one another without colliding, and it is right at this crossroads that the IPCC aims to position itself.

Call for Contributions

We are inviting paper abstracts and proposals for panels and roundtables that revolve around, but are not limited to, the following areas:

Methodologies
– Online research
– Auto/duo/digital ethnography
– Practice-based research
– Visual research methods (VRM)
– Research in progress
– Participatory action research

Digital Realms
– Digital literacies
– Digital technography
– Digital interpersonal relationships
– Everyday life, personal experiences
– Embodied digital practices
– Technological mediation

Pedagogies
– Teaching practices
– Learning experiences
– Experiential learning
– Critical pedagogy
– Collective pedagogy
– Engaged pedagogy
– Reflective pedagogy

Art and Design
– Image and representation
– Performance studies
– Language, adaptation, and translation
– Aurality (sound and music)
– Action and Impact
– Archiving, museums, spaces of memory

Fields and Borders of Research
– Research ethics
– Inclusivity, diversity, and intersectionality
– Spatiality and temporality
– Urban communication
– Geographies of physical space
– Media geography/geographies of media
– Sociology of affect and emotion, immaterial labour
– Fluidity, hybridity, engagement, vulnerability
– Memory, tracing the past

How can you apply?
We accept individual submissions of a paper proposal, panel, and roundtable proposal. Kindly send your submissions to (ipcc /at/ bilgi.edu.tr) with an extended abstract of 500-750 words and a bio of 100 words by Friday, 14 April 2023.

Individual submission of a paper proposal should include an extended abstract of 500-750 words and a short bio of 100 words.

Panels with 3-4 paper presentations should consist of the panel title with a 500-750 words rationale followed by 150 words abstract of each paper presentation and short bios of the participants. Discussants can also be identified with a short bio.

A roundtable session provides an opportunity for participants to get together and explore issues related to the theme of the conference in an informal yet structured setting. If you are interested in hosting a round table, you can submit a topic or possible questions along with a 400-500 words rationale and a 100 words short bio of the facilitator(s).

Submissions will be notified via email by Friday, 5 May 2023. We look forward to receiving your contributions.