[Commlist] Embodying the Video Essay – videographic workshop

Fri Feb 24 09:19:24 GMT 2023

*Embodying the Video Essay – videographic workshop, Bowdoin College, Maine, July 8-15th, 2023*

This initiative is designed to bring together audiovisual essayists who want to develop and exchange methods within a dynamic, collaborative environment.

We are delighted to announce that we will be joined by leading videographic practitioners as guest speakers / presenters: Dr Johannes Binotto <https://transferences.org/>, Professor Catherine Grant <https://catherinegrant.org/>, Professor Kevin B Lee <https://www.alsolikelife.com/home/about> and Professor Jason Mittell <https://justtv.wordpress.com/about/>.

Our goal is to expand connections within a dedicated videographic community and to unite for an intensive, in-person, week-long workshop of making and exploration. In preparation for the workshop, participants will engage in organized Zoom sessions in April, May, and June. These sessions will introduce key themes of the initiative and serve as community-building opportunities for inspiration and feedback. The week-long workshop will be held atBowdoin College <https://www.bowdoin.edu/>(Brunswick, Maine, USA), July 8th-15th, and includes presentations by guest speakers, new videographic exercises developed to explore embodied practices, and ample opportunity to work on projects with the support of community feedback and potential collaboration. Following the workshop, there will be opportunities for participants to plan future presentations, exhibitions, and possible publications of created works.

With a focus on performance-based embodied practices, this initiative encourages videographic critics to reflect on how the video essay engages with frameworks of identity, representation, the materiality of texts, and the senses. We invite opportunities for video essay practitioners to explore theories of intersectional practice-based research with a focus on positionality and relationality. Participants are encouraged to situate themselves in relationship to their object of study, the structures that produced this object, audiences that engage with it, and the communities and peoples that it may implicate and represent. Likewise, we ask participants to question how we might navigate and expand an as-yet nascent form of scholarship that draws on established academic structures, through interactive methods to engage with the materiality of digital texts. We are curious to explore the relationships between embodiment and the screen and how these connections might find expression in the video essay. Finally, we are keen to expand on and generate meaningful methods of engagement: to foster and develop community-based commentary, feedback, and criticism through attentiveness, kindness, rigour, and mutual responsibility.

See our website for more details: https://sites.google.com/view/embodiedpractices2023/about?authuser=0

*Applications are still open, and will close on 3rd March. *We have one fully-funded PhD scholarship, which covers workshop fees and travel to and from Bowdoin.

This project is generously supported by partnerships between the Canadian government and supporting international academic institutions.

Organising committee: Joel Burges, Allison Cooper, Lucy Fife Donaldson, Colleen Laird, Dayna McLeod and Alison Peirse