[Commlist] Call for AI Otherwise Summer Institute

Fri Feb 17 07:29:40 GMT 2023

https://www.utm.utoronto.ca/iccit/ai-otherwise-iccit-summer-institute

AI Otherwise: ICCIT Summer Institute

May 30-June 1, 2023

The Institute of Communication, Culture, Information and Technology (ICCIT)

University of Toronto Mississauga

AI Otherwise  'AI Other ways  AI Other ones

The ICCIT Summer Institute will be held from May 30 to June 1, 2023, at the University of Toronto Mississauga. With this Summer Institute, we assemble to investigate the limits of AI, a theme we locate as part of the development of a critical turn in AI research and prototyping. We understand limits in the philosophical sense of threshold or horizon as well as limits in the socio-technological sense of boundary and boundary object (Leigh Star, 2010). We ask what happens to the uncertainties that arise around the boundaries of science and technology knowledge when AI itself draws boundaries in what is included and what is excluded. How does the local history of colonialism and anti-colonialism, racialization and anti-racism, across space and time impact the boundary-making and -remaking of AI? How can boundaries be re-arranged otherwise? (McQuillan, 2022). To counter the re-emergence of a technological sublime of advanced automation—a mindset that understands ubiquitous computing as enclosing every aspect of life and everyone indiscriminately—and its associated “AI spring”—signaled by a growing availability of funding—we locate critical technologies of revealing, refusal, and resistance, whether we look at critiques such as “surveillance capitalism” or “datafication” or “extractivism.” In the critical tradition of feminist STS and decolonial thought, we call for an AI Otherwise and gather to think through interdisciplinary frameworks of other ways of making and doing AI.

The three-day Summer Institute is organized a day after the ICA 2023 (May 25-29, Toronto) and will feature speakers, paper presentations, roundtables, workshops, and experimental sessions. We invite key thinkers across critical and technical domains that include machine learning, AI ethics, design, history, legal, labour, and platform studies, among others, to share work and build a discursive community on the subject of AI. Participants will be invited from an international community of scholars and researchers as well as the ICCIT and other University of Toronto faculty. One of the goals of the Summer Institute is to create a community of scholars who are working on these issues from multiple fields to challenge the doxas surrounding AI and bring complexity to the discussion of its boundaries. We call for submissions of papers, panels, round tables, workshops, or experimental formats, e.g. critical design interventions, video content etc., on the topic of AI Otherwise or thinking the limits of AI across a range of disciplinary views. For the Summer Institute, we prioritize panel and workshop configurations that include graduate students and emerging scholars. Financial support (travel, etc.) for graduate students and emerging scholars who are accepted participants can be made available—please inquire.

Submissions

Papers: title + 250 word abstract with specification of disciplinary field(s) and a short bio (<50 words).

Panels: a panel title and description (300-400 words), 4-5 paper abstracts (title + 250) with specification of disciplinary field(s) and short bios (<50 words) of each author.

Round tables: 250 word abstract describing topic of roundtable + short description of participant

contributions and short bios (<50 words) of each participant

Workshops: 250-500 word description of workshop + framework for participant (e.g, graduate students or mixed group) and short bios (<50 words) of each participant

Experimental formats: let us know what you have in mind in 250-500 words.

Apply below before March 15, 2023.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfL1jM_4ntdsriIEUqqjeAsvQYbLrfHR2_DAOmD3xPNOwLGdg/viewform

Read more here.

AI Otherwise: ICCIT Summer Institute team

Co-chairs: Beth Coleman, Julie Chen, Tero Karppi, Lilia Topouzova

Postdoctoral researcher: Sophie Toupin

Jeremy Packer, PhD

Professor

Institute for Communication, Culture, Information, and Technology

University of Toronto, Mississauga

Faculty of Information

University of Toronto, St. George

Killer Apps: War, Media, Machine (Duke 2020) <https://www.dukeupress.edu/killer-apps>