[Commlist] cfp: EPIC2023 - Friction

Tue Feb 14 04:38:45 GMT 2023

EPIC2023 Call for Participation
Submission Deadline: March 17
Conference Venue: Chicago
Submission Link: https://tinyurl.com/2fcy6d6s <https://tinyurl.com/2fcy6d6s>
https://2023.epicpeople.org/cfp/ <https://2023.epicpeople.org/cfp/>

Now in its 19th year, EPIC conference is an inclusive event that combines supports the professional development, learning, and leadership of people who practice and promote ethnography. EPIC is a nonprofit organization powered by members and volunteers; learn more.

The core EPIC2023 program is created through a proposal submission, anonymous review, selection, and curation process. This year the Program Committee invites proposals for these formats: Case Studies, Papers, PechaKucha, Visual Ethnography, and Graduate Colloquium. We welcome proposals from anyone, in any discipline and sector, who creates ethnography or applies ethnographic principles and expertise.

Please read the conference theme and the submissions requirements below:

EPIC2023 Theme: Friction

A wheel turns because of its encounter with the surface of the road; spinning in the air it goes nowhere. Rubbing two sticks together produces heat and light; one stick alone is just a stick… Friction reminds us that heterogeneous and unequal encounters can lead to new arrangements of culture and power.
—Anna Tsing, Friction (2011:5)

Friction is a function of the everyday. The experience of friction can feel uncomfortable or constraining: impeding our personal and professional goals, disrupting flows of data, erecting barriers to participation and inclusion, disrupting innovation. As ethnographers, however, we also understand friction as a generative force. The diverse perspectives, unexpected partnerships, and conflicting goals that friction yields can open time and space to plot creative paths forward. We invite you to consider Friction at multiple sites and scales:

As practitioners, researchers, designers, innovators, and creators, our work is fed by friction. Ethnography inevitably surfaces differing interpretations, values, and viewpoints, and issues of positionality, bias, and reflexivity. From these we create the frameworks, design principles and strategies that enable our organizations to take action amid the complexity of life. Our insights and impacts are forged through friction—the partnerships, alignments, and dissonance among our teams, collaborators, stakeholders, organizations, communities and critics.

Friction is part of people’s engagements with products, services and processes. The focus on reducing friction has created key efficiencies and helped address struggles, priorities, and inequities from users’ points of view, including people excluded from the definition of ‘user’. But with our compulsion toward ‘seamless’ experiences, we also reduce social interactions to technical transactions, constrain human agency, perpetuate inequities, and privilege idealized happy paths at the expense of our diverse realities.

Innovation happens in the friction of global connection. As businesses and organizations alternately and unevenly pursue profit, disruption, connectedness, inclusion, or climate-readiness, ethnography is crucial in navigating complex social realities that populate our horizons and so-called white spaces. Too many products and policies land, and fail, on poorly understood ground. Understanding the friction of the diverse interactions that make up our contemporary world is essential to organizational learning, decision making, strategy, and foresight.

Submission Requirements

- You may submit only a single proposal (Case Study, Paper, PechaKucha, or Visual Ethnography) as a primary/first author. The exception is the Graduate Colloquium (applicants to the Colloquium may submit as primary author to another track).

- At least one co-author must register for and attend the conference to present the work. No automatic discounts are available for presenters.

- Presenters are encouraged to contact us about equity and financial inclusion grants: (conference /at/ epicpeople.org) <mailto:(conference /at/ epicpeople.org)>. - Authors must be sure they have all permissions required to present and publish all data, research, and materials they intend to include. ‘Permission’ refers not only to legal requirements and policies of employers and clients, but also the documented informed consent of all those represented in the work, with consideration for their agency and power to consent and within their own social and cultural contexts.

- If your proposal is accepted, you will work closely with a curator to develop and refine great presentations and published texts. You will commit to deadlines for submitting draft and final versions of both. Before submitting a proposal, please ensure all co-authors have the time and interest to engage in this process.

- Papers and Case Studies will create both presentations and full-length articles. Articles (and abstracts for other formats) will be published in the open-access journal Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings (ISSN 1559-8918) and in EPIC library.

- All co-authors are required to sign a publication agreement.
All presenters must sign media agreements that allow EPIC to video record conference events and share video on epicpeople.org <http://epicpeople.org>.

Don’t hesitate to contact us with questions—(conference /at/ epicpeople.org) <mailto:(conference /at/ epicpeople.org)>