[Commlist] Call for contributions 8th International Visual Methods Conference

Fri Feb 10 13:52:48 GMT 2023

The eighth International Visual Methods Conference will be hosted by La Sapienza and Melting Pro in Rome from 29-31 May 2023. The call for contributions has been extended for one final time and we’re now accepting proposals up to 28th February. We are particularly looking for (a) innovative, collaborative projects where academics work actively with creative practitioners (artists, filmmakers, writers, photographers etc), policy makers or activists and (b) work which raises methodological or ethical questions.
The call is on the site http://ivmc8.visualmethods.info/

http://ivmc8.visualmethods.info/

Background

Saperi&Co of Sapienza University of Rome together with Melting Pro are pleased to invite contributions to the International Visual Methods Conference 2023, hosted in Rome, Italy, from 29 to 31 May 2023.

Since its inaugural event in 2009, the International Visual Methods Conference has developed a reputation as a leading interdisciplinary forum for researchers, artists, visual scholars, activists and other practitioners to engage in dialogue with one another.

Theme
The topic of this 8th edition is Transition: Preparing for the Next Generation. The era we are living in is certainly experiencing a time of transition: the pandemic put the whole world in crisis. How do we make a strong and responsible investment in the Next Generation? What common goods - such as education and training – do we turn to in order to give everyone equal opportunities? In this scenario visual methods play an important role, embracing much more than the simple communication of results. We need to understand how our community can trigger broader reflections and offer solutions to specific problems.

We propose five tracks corresponding to five challenges addressed worldwide:
:
1. A Green/Sustainable Future:: giving a green revolution and ecological transition 2. A Digital Future: involving digitization, innovation, culture and inclusion. . 3. A Caring Future: giving physical health, psychological well-being and social cohesion 4. A Smart Future: stimulating research and education to develop abilities, wisdom and
experience..
5. An Equitable Future: embracing diversity, inclusion and good social relationships.

The 2023 conference will include a combination of keynote presentations, panels and papers, alongside workshops, screenings, exhibitions and events. We invite contributions from various disciplines, including applied arts and design, visual anthropology, communication studies, computing, architecture, urban planning and the social sciences, including social innovation. This list is not limited. We are keen to encourage participation from those working collaboratively across these disciplines and others.

We are looking for proposals exploring any of these areas:
● Data visualisation
● Visual data analysis
● Visual arts
● Visual research methods and design
● Visual ethics
● Visual culture
● Participatory visual methods
● Community facing or community derived visual projects
● Digital Storytelling
● 3D modelling
Contributions can be in the form of extended abstracts, papers, panel proposals, workshop proposals, and/or proposals for visual exhibitions or physical activities.

Conference format
The conference will primarily take place onsite, hosted by the prestigious Sapienza University of Rome, with potential online activities.

Deadlines
14 October 2022 - Call for contributions opens
28th Feb 2023 – Final Deadline for Abstract Submission
01-31 March 2023 -Early-Bird Registration
06 April - Draft programme
1-30 April 2023 - Regular Registration
1-10 May 2023 - Late registration
15 May 2023 - Complete conference program
29-31 May - Main event - International Visual Methods Conference

Submission procedures
All submissions must be made via Easychair at
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=8ivmc
Submissions for papers are to be made as abstracts, with a maximum of 500 wordsProposals for workshops, screenings, events or exhibitions should be submitted as abstracts with links to supporting material (e.g. images, videos, previous work, special requirements)

All submissions will be reviewed by a panel of international and local experts.

Organising committee:

Conference chairs:
Sabrina Lucibello - Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
Federica Pesce - Melting Pro, Italy
Alessandra Talamo -Sapienza University of Rome, Italy

Additional team members:
Lorena Trebbi - Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
Chiara Del Gesso -Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
Giovanni Inglese - Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
Laura Bove - Melting Pro, Italy
Visual Methods International Steering Committee:
Mark Dunford (Chair) - Digitales, Goldsmiths,UK
Daniela Gachago – University of Cape Town, South Africa
Terence Heng - University of Liverpool, UK
Chris High - Linnaeus University, Sweden
Rebecca Noone - University College London, UK & University of Toronto, CA