[Commlist] cfp: Language Work in the Movies (Workshop)

Tue Feb 07 10:41:46 GMT 2023

Workshop

Bern, Switzerland

Date: 8/11/2023 - 9/11/2023
Call for papers ending on: 16/02/2023

ROUND TABLE
I am looking to bring to Switzerland a small number of scholars from any area of sociocultural linguistics whose research centers the work of, for example, dialect coaches, dubbing artists, translators, subtitlers, closed-captioners,
and audio-describers. It is here that we find people working in different
ways with either spoken language or written language as the primary outcome
of their professional practice. The core objective of the round table is to
think beyond the representation of language/s by focusing instead on
behind-the-scenes language production and, specifically, the "language work"
of people who are otherwise overlooked or obscured in the movie industry
and/or by sociocultural linguists.

The round table will be held over two days in Bern, Switzerland: Thursday09
and Friday 10 November 2023. If you have research on “language work in the
movies” I would love to hear from you soon. I will be able to offer up to
CHF 1,000 to each presenter towards the costs of travel and
accommodation. Please email me, as soon as possible, a provisional title and
short (200 words) abstract.