[Commlist] cfp: Every day and cultural geographies of Islam/Muslims: expanding the field

Mon Feb 06 15:24:53 GMT 2023

Call for Papers _ CAG Special Session Montreal, 8-12 May 2023

Every day and cultural geographies of Islam/Muslims: expanding the field

Organized by Galina Scolnic (University of Windsor, Ontario) and Hulya Arik (University of Toronto)

This panel invites papers on Muslims/Islam in lived everyday contexts and cultural realms. We would like to expand the academic literature on the geographies of Islam and Muslims in areas such as daily affective encounters, cultural and creative production, spatial configurations of Islam and Islamophobia, gendered and racial constructions of Muslimhood, and beyond. We invite participants who would also question how and on what terms Islam, Muslim, and Islamic-ness appear in geographic research and to reflect on the epistemic frameworks that circumscribe our discipline.

Please send short abstracts (200 words max) and bios (60 words max) to (scolnic /at/ uwindsor.ca) <mailto:(scolnic /at/ uwindsor.ca)>by February 19th. Submissions are invited for a paper session with 15-minute presentations.