[Commlist] CFP: 4th International Online Conference Media in America, America in Media: Mind, Body and Earth

Mon Jan 23 21:14:29 GMT 2023

We invite the submission of abstracts for the /*Media in America, America in Media <https://mediaameryka.wixsite.com/umcs>*/international conference to be held *online on 23-24 March 2023*. This is the fourth edition of a joint effort of American Studies and Political Science scholars from Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin, Poland, who aim to generate a cross-disciplinary debate that brings together divergent yet complementary voices reflecting on American media environment and America’s portrayals in media across the globe. Our theme this year is /Mind, Body and Earth./

We are honoured to present our Keynote Speaker, *Alexa Weik von Mossner* <https://www.alexaweikvonmossner.com/>(University of Klagenfurt), a pioneer in the area of affect studies in environmental culture.

The conference is being held under the patronage of the Polish Rhetoric Society.

In November 2022 the word /permacrisis /was chosen as Collins Dictionary’s word of the year. The shortened version of “permanent crisis” describes the feeling of living through a period of war, inflation and political instability. The challenges of rapid climate change and other threats of sustainable development are also among the destabilizing factors which affect our sense of security. All types of crises contribute to the development of a consistent sense of feeling pressured and overwhelmed. Acute stress seems to be a chronic condition of the 21^st  century. “We are wired to respond to stress and remove it, sometimes even automatically,” says Rajita Sinha, director of Yale Medicine’s Interdisciplinary Stress Center. Yet, she also observes that “life has become more complex, and many situations do not have easy answers.” Therefore, we would like to invite you to share your perspective on *how contemporary media conceptualize the human condition in 21^st  century and how media rethink traditional attitudes to cognitive, mental, physical and emotional responses to rapidly changing human environments.*

Apart from exploring the theme of /Mind, Body and Earth/, the conference /Media in America, America in Media/ addresses a wide variety of topics across the disciplines of media, political science, language and cultural studies. They may include the following themes, among others:

1. Media representing complex relationships: mind / body / Earth

•(In)equity: media on interdependence, sustainability, poverty vs. climate emergency

•Balance: ecology of nature vs. ecology of self

·Care: Earth care and self care practices in media

·Affect: emotionalizing strategies in media

2. Media representing global challenges – past and present

•(Perma)crisis: media – crisis managers or crisis instigators?

·War/Economy: media on instability and human insecurity

·Politics: exploring issues vs. imposing positions

·Echo chambers: media for critical thinking or forum for manipulation

3. Media as a tool in identity formation

•Representations: majority and the minorities – ideological, feminist, religious, racial, ethnic, LGBTQ+ and other

•New phenomena, new audiences: America in TV series, podcasts, games, hashtags, infographics, tweets, pins...

•Adaptations: history, literature and art in a new form

•Exposure: social media, ingroup affect and virtual ties

Abstracts (150-250 words) in English + a short bio should be sent by *February 15th, 2023* through an online form (*here* <https://forms.gle/38quvaEiXGmr162y7>). *There is no registration fee*. The details can be found on the conference website *https://mediaameryka.wixsite.com/umcs* <https://mediaameryka.wixsite.com/umcs>

For the 2023 edition of /Media in America, America in Media/ conference publication we are pleased to announce the cooperation with two peer-reviewed open access academic journals: *Res Rhetorica* <https://resrhetorica.com/index.php/RR>**and***New Horizons in English Studies* <https://journals.umcs.pl/nh>*. Full article submission deadline is May 31, 2023. *The**post-conference volumes**are scheduled for publication in 2023 (NHES) and 2024 (RR).

Due to the interdisciplinary character of the conference, the invitation is addressed to representatives of all scientific disciplines dealing with the topic of media.

Organizing Committee

Anna Bendrat, Ph.D.

Elżbieta Pawlak-Hejno, Ph.D.

Lidia Kniaź-Hunek, Ph.D.

Patrycja Winiarczyk, MA

Contact us at:*(media.ameryka /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(media.ameryka /at/ gmail.com)>*

+++