[Commlist] CfP: PANCOPOP Symposium 2023

Mon Jan 09 18:09:40 GMT 2023

We would like to inform you that the abstract submission deadline the international symposium on Pandemic Communication and Populism, to be held at Loughborough University (12-13^th June 2023), has been extended to *Monday 23^rd January 2023*. Further information below and here: https://www.pancopop.net/pancopop-symposium-2023/ <https://www.pancopop.net/pancopop-symposium-2023/>

CfP Pandemic Communication and Populism

//

/Loughborough University, UK, 12-13 June 2023./

//

/Co-hosted by the //PANCOPOP/ <https://www.pancopop.net/,>/research team & the //Centre for Research in Communication and Culture/ <https://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/crcc/>/, Loughborough University./

//

As the COVID-19 pandemic disappears from the headlines and attention turns to new political crises, it is more important than ever for the scholarly community to continue asking difficult questions about the way the pandemic was handled, and about things that need to change to ensure individuals and communities are better prepared for any future public health crises. This symposium, linked to an ongoing transnational research project (PANCOPOP <https://www.pancopop.net/,>), is designed to bring together scholars interested in the dynamics of health crisis communication and pandemic politics, with a particular focus on the impact of populist leaders and attitudes on the nature, dynamics and effectiveness of public communication processes.

//

We invite proposals for papers that examine these issues from any vantage point, in relation to any health crisis and any country, and using any methodological or theoretical approach. However, we are particularly interested in contributions that use original research to investigate topics and questions that are pursued by the PANCOPOP project team, in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic. We also welcome papers that seek to build on existing knowledge to develop practical recommendations for media practitioners and policy makers, with the aim of building more resilient media organisations that are better equipped to withstand the challenges of future pandemics in divided societies. We are open to contributions from researchers at different career stages, including PhD students, and would particularly encourage submissions that examine pandemic communication and populism in countries beyond the West. Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:

  * Health crisis communication
  * Media policy
  * Media coverage
  * Public attitudes and news consumption
  * Pandemic geopolitics
Confirmed participants so far include:

  * Daniel C. Hallin
    <https://communication.ucsd.edu/people/faculty/hallin-dan.html>,
    University of California San Diego, USA;
  * Beata Klimkiewicz <https://media.uj.edu.pl/beata-klimkiewicz>,
    Jagiellonian University, Poland;
  * Marlene Laruelle <https://elliott.gwu.edu/marlene-laruelle>, George
    Washington University, USA;
  * Sabina Mihelj

<https://www.lboro.ac.uk/subjects/communication-media/staff/sabina-mihelj/>,
    Loughborough University, UK;
  * Danilo Rothberg
    <https://bv.fapesp.br/en/pesquisador/89104/danilo-rothberg>, Sao
    Paolo University, Brazil;
  * Václav Štětka

<https://www.lboro.ac.uk/subjects/communication-media/staff/vaclav-stetka/>,
    Loughborough University, UK;
  * The Everyday Misinformation Project <https://everyday-mis.info/> –
    with Andrew Chadwick, Cristian Vaccari, Natalie-Anne Hall and
    Brendan Lawson, Loughborough University, UK.

*SUBMISSION: *Please submit an abstract (c. 300-500 words) and a short biographical note for each author (c. 100-150 words) by the new deadline 23 January 2023 using the online form: https://forms.office.com/e/HnisvqNjqY <https://forms.office.com/e/HnisvqNjqY>.

For any queries, please contact Brigita Valantinaviciute, PANCOPOP Project Administrator ((B.Valantinaviciute /at/ lboro.ac.uk) <mailto:(B.Valantinaviciute /at/ lboro.ac.uk)>).