[Commlist] CFP Balisages, Issue 7 (2023): Disinformation Past and Present, An Interdisciplinary Approach

Wed Jan 04 14:34:31 GMT 2023

Call for papers: Balisages (Issue 7, December 2023):
Disinformation past and present, an interdisciplinary approach

Guest editors: Stéphane Le Bras (Professeur, History, CHEC - University of Clermont Auvergne UCA), Djibril Diakhaté (Professor, Information Science, EBAD, Cheikh Anta Diop University, Dakar, Sénégal), Susan Kovacs (Professor, Information and Communication Sciences, Enssib - ELICO - UDL Lyon)

March 14, 2023: Deadline for anonymous abstracts (3,000 - 5,000 characters)
November 10, 2023: Full articles due (30,000 - 40,000 characters)

Proposals should be sent to: Stéphane Le Bras ((stephane.lebras /at/ uca.fr)), Djibril Diakhaté ((djibril.diakhate /at/ ucad.edu.sn)), Susan Kovacs ((susan.kovacs /at/ enssib.fr)).

Read the full CFP here: https://publications-prairial.fr/balisages/index.php?id=956

Balisages, Enssib’s peer-reviewed journal, announces a call for papers on the topic of disinformation, in an interdisciplinary and comparative approach. We seek contributions in all areas of the humanities and social sciences which explore the processes and implications of disinformation both past and present : its creation and dissemination, the nature of its social influence as well as its uses and appropriations. Submissions in both English and French are welcome.

Call:
Manipulated information, a complex multmodal phenomenon, has come to occupy a fundamental place in the public eye, especially as of 2010. We seek to develop an interdisciplinary and comparative approach that will deepen our understanding of the ways in which disinformation emerges and circulates and how specific groups or individuals are targeted.

We invite papers which critically examine disinformation in any of its forms or manifestations (misinformation, fake news, misleading opinions, false or distorted narratives…) and which take into account the variety of temporal, spatial and social situations through which disinformation can be defined and analysed.

Prospective authors are invited to submit paper proposals on topics of interest in the four following interrelated areas of inquiry:

1.    The creation of disinformation
We seek contributions which will shed light on the socio-technical tools and techniques which contribute to the development, dissemination and propagation of disinformation. Proposals can focus on the actors of disinformation ; on the methods or tools used ; on the supports and media dispositives involved in dissemination ; on the processes of targeting or influencing specific publics ; on phenomena of legitimation which play out during disinformation campaigns and strategies.

2.    The grammar of disinformation
We invite proposals which consider the cultural contexts which inform and shape processes of disinformation. The objective here is to characterize disinformation, its forms, effects and modes of appropriation, with relation to specific social and geographical contexts and realities. Discourse analysis as well as the study of the political and cultural environments through which disinformation practices take place are welcome, as are critical explorations of the reception and use of disinformation in particular regions, settings, institutions.

3.    The genealogy of disinformation
We further invite paper proposals which focus on the diachronic or synchronic analysis of disinformation processes. We seek submissions which critically assess the recurrence or resurgence of disinformation content or which analyse disinformation events or campaigns as they unfold over time. Studies providing insight into the repeated use of specific disinformation content over time or at intervals or which examine the exceptional nature of singular non-recurring disinformation content will provide keys for understanding how disinformation shapes and infiltrates societies and/or provokes discussion, debate, indifference or contestation.

4.    Antidotes to disinformation
Paper proposals which examine training or educational initiatives developed to combat, prevent or prepare individuals for the propagation of disinformation are also encouraged, in particular studies within the domain of Media and Information Literacy (MIL). We invite submissions dealing with political, institutional or professional policies, programs or measures ; or which analyse individual, organisational or media-based initiatives (including socio-techical solutions, training modules, literacy events, workshops…) to prevent disinformation and/or to sensitize and train different publics. Critical analysis and evaluations of the strengths and weaknesses of these initiatives are invited, with both theoretical and empirical approaches which can further our understanding of the challenges faced by information, media, and digital literacy (or metaliteracy/transliteracy) actors and organizations.

Submissions can address one or more of these four topical areas. We welcome research in all areas of the humanities and social sciences, as well as studies which deal with any historical period or geographical area. Case studies as well as theoretical and conceptual approaches are welcome ; co-signed papers combining different disciplinary perspectives are also encouraged.

Languages: Submissions in both English and French are welcome.

See journal guidelines on text formatting and citation policy : https://publications-prairial.fr/balisages/index.php?id=415

Manuscripts will be subject to 2 blind peer reviews by a review committee; members are selected according to their field of expertise upon receipt of submissions.

Balisages primarily solicits research articles. However, interested authors can also submit texts which offer critical and reflexive insight into the activities, initiatives, practices or expertise of information and communication professionals. In this case, anonymous abstracts will be evaluated by the three coordinators of the issue.

Important note: no payment from the authors will be required.