[Commlist] Assistant Professor Position Media Studies, Race and Social Justice (Temporary) - University of Toronto

Mon Dec 19 16:43:32 GMT 2022

The Department of Arts, Culture and Media at the University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC) invites applications for a two-year Contractually Limited Term Appointment (CLTA) in the area of Media Studies with a focus on Race and Social Justice. The appointment will be at the rank of Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream and is expected to begin on July 1, 2023 and end on June 30, 2025. An additional one-year renewal may be possible.

Applicants must have earned a PhD degree in Media Studies, Communication, Science and Technology Studies, Journalism, or a related discipline by the time of appointment or shortly thereafter, with a demonstrated record of excellence in teaching. The successful candidate will be expected to teach in the Media Studies, Journalism and Digital Cultures program, with the opportunity to collaborate in curricular development and implementation across the Department’s eight programs (https://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/acm/content/welcome). Applicants must have a breadth of experience teaching in one or more of the following areas: intersectional approaches to Black digital media; decolonizing digital methods and practices; data and spe ctrum sovereignties; algorithmic bias and algorithmic fairness; feminist media studies; media activism; media studies in the Global South; critical race theory; and equity, diversity and inclusion in arts, culture, and media. We especially welcome scholars whose areas of expertise may include: Black Studies, Indigenous studies, transfeminist studies, digital capitalism, critical disability studies, and critical data studies.

Candidates must have teaching experience in a degree-g ranting program, including lecture preparation and delivery, curriculum development, and development of online material/lectures. Additionally, candidates must possess a demonstrated commitment to excellent pedagogical inquiry and a demonstrated interest in teaching-related scholarly activities. The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching and supervising students in the undergraduate degree program, fulfilling other professional and administrative activities related to teaching, and participating in curriculum development and departmental and university committee work in order to contribute to program and departmental initiatives, especially in advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion in teaching and learning.

Evidence of excellence in teaching and a commitment to excellent pedagogical inquiry can be demonstrated through teaching accomplishments, awards and accolades, presentations at significant conferences, the teaching dossier submitted as part of the application (with required materials outlined below) as well as strong letters of reference from referees of high standing. Candidates must also demonstrate skill in both their teaching abilities and in their capacity to instruct a wide range of courses in media studies, race, and social justice.

Candidates must show evidence of a commitment to equit y, diversity, inclusion, and the promotion of a respectful and collegial learning and working environment, as demonstrated through the application materials.

For more context about the University of Toronto&rsquo ;s commitment to diversity, see https://people.utoronto.ca/news/2015-presidents-statement-diversity-inclusion/. Note as well the Department of Arts, Culture & Media’s own Equity and Diversity in the Arts Initiative: https://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/acm/equity-and-diversity-arts.

Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.

The University of Toronto offers the opportunity to co nduct research and creative practice, teach, and live in one of the most diverse cities of the world. The appointment is at the University of Toronto Scarborough, which is a research-intensive campus with an interdisciplinary commitment, a multicultural student body, and a modern campus. The Department of Arts, Culture and Media at UTSC is a unique multi-disciplinary research and teaching environment, with programs in Art History and Visual Culture, Arts Management, Curatorial Studies, Journalism (Joint Program), Media, Journalism and Digital Cultures, New Media Studies (Joint Program), Music and Culture, Studio Art, and Theatre and Performance. Please refer to our program website for more information: https://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/acm/.

All qualified candidates are invited to apply online b y clicking on the link below. Applicants must submit: 1) a cover letter; 2) a complete and current curriculum vitae; 3) a complete teaching portfolio that includes a strong statement of teaching philosophy, sample syllabi, course materials, teaching evaluations, and/or descriptions of teaching strategies.

Applicants must provide the names and contact informat ion of three references. The University of Toronto's recruiting tool will automatically solicit and collect letters of reference from each once an application is submitted (this happens overnight). Applicants remain responsible for ensuring that references submit letters (on letterhead, dated and signed) by the closing date. At least one reference must be able to primarily address the candidate's teaching.

Submission guidelines can be found at http://uoft.me/how-to-apply. Your CV and cover letter should be uploaded into the dedicated fields. Please combine additional application materials into one or two files in PDF/MS Word format.  If you have any questions about this position, please contact acm-ca@utsc.utoronto.ca_._

All application materials, including reference letters, must be received by *February 3, 2023*. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.

*Diversity Statement*
The University of Toronto embraces Diversity and is building a culture of belonging that increases our capacity to effectively address and serve the interests of our global community. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, Black and racialized persons, women, persons with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual and gender identities. We value applicants who have demonstrated a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognize that diverse perspectives, experiences, and expertise are essential to strengthening our academic mission.

As part of your application, you will be asked to complete a brief Diversity Survey. This survey is voluntary. Any information directly related to you is confidential and cannot be accessed by search committees or human resources staff. Results will be aggregated for institutional planning purposes. For more information, p lease see http://uoft.me/UP.

*Accessibility Statement*
The University strives to be an equitable and inclusive community, and proactively seeks to increase diversity among its community members. Our values regarding equity and diversity are linked with our unwavering commitment to excellence in the pursuit of our academic mission.

The University is committed to the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). As such, we strive to make our recruitment, assessment and selection processes as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with disabilities.< /span>

If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact (uoft.careers /at/ utoronto.ca).

Link: https://jobs.utoronto.ca/job/Toronto-Assistant-Professor%2C-Teaching-Stream-CLTA-Media-Studies%2C-Race%2C-and-Social-Justice-ON/566092517/