[Commlist] Call for Presentations and Papers MIX 2023: Storytelling in Immersive Media

Wed Dec 14 10:54:25 GMT 2022

Call for Presentations and Papers MIX 2023: Storytelling in Immersive Media

7 July, 2023 at the British Library, London

MIX 2023 <https://mixconference.org/>, our biennial conference on where and how creative writing and emerging technologies meet, will be co-hosted by Bath Spa University and the British Library. It will coincide with the British Library’s Digital Storytelling <https://www.bl.uk/press-releases/2022/october/year-ahead>exhibition of digital literature and emerging formats, which will highlight digital publishing over recent years. MIX 2023 will enable scholars and practitioners to come together to explore the exhibition at the British Library as well as share current research and practice in the rapidly developing field of storytelling in immersive environments.

Conference Themes

Storytelling in Immersive Media

Interactive and Locative works

Narrative Games

Storytelling with AI

Digital Preservation, Archiving and Enhanced Curation

We are looking for proposals for 15 min papers or presentations and 6 min lightning talks from technologists and creative writers and poets working in the digital realm, including artists and practitioners, as well as academic researchers and independent scholars. We are particularly interested in the work and views of creators, audiences and communities currently underrepresented across writing and technology. Papers, presentations, and lightning talks focused on teaching and pedagogy are also welcome.

If you are unable to attend MIX2023 in person, we are accepting a limited number of pre-recorded presentations. Please get in touch if you would like to propose one of these.

If travel or other associated costs including, for example, disability support, is a barrier to you attending MIX 2023, you can apply for support from our Access Fund. Email (mix /at/ bathspa.ac.uk) <mailto:(mix /at/ bathspa.ac.uk)> with details of the amount you are requesting.

How to Submit

We would like to hear from you if you have an abstract or proposal for a 6 minute lightning talk or 15 minute paper or presentation. Most sessions will be 60 minutes long, with time for 3 papers and 15 minutes of questions. We will also accept group panel proposals for 60 minute panels (composed of three papers or presentations).

To submit, please send us a 300 word abstract or summary of each paper or presentation you are proposing here <https://mixconference.org/calls/submit-abstracts/>. When you submit, please select which of the themes your submission best fits. Please include a 100 word biography (include biographies of all other speakers if you are proposing a panel). The deadline for submission is Monday 13th Feb

We will let you know whether your submission has been successful by the end of Feb. For queries on your conference submission, email (mix /at/ bathspa.ac.uk) <mailto:(mix /at/ bathspa.ac.uk)>, or take a look at our website <https://mixconference.org/>.