[Commlist] Special Issue on "Popular Music and Populism"

Wed Dec 07 18:13:50 GMT 2022

We would like to draw your attention to a special issue of /Popular Music/ that we co-edited on “Popular Music and Populism,” which is now available on the publisher’s website <https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/popular-music/latest-issue>.

We would like to thank all the authors and peer-reviewers involved. The issue includes articles focusing on Israel, Greece, Hungary, Austria, Chile, and Turkey/the US:

  * The people vs. the power bloc? Popular music and populism
    <https://doi.org/10.1017/S026114302200054X> (Open Access)

    Mario Dunkel, Melanie Schiller

  * The regime of style: cover versions, reality TV, and the aesthetic
    principles of populism in Israel and beyond
    <https://doi.org/10.1017/S0261143022000411> (Open Access)

    Oded Erez

  * Populist performance(s) in contemporary Greek rap music
    <https://doi.org/10.1017/S0261143022000435> (Open Access)

    Kostas Savvopoulos, Yannis Stavrakakis

  * The ‘System of National Cooperation’ hit factory: the aesthetic of
    Hungarian government-commissioned songs between 2010 and 2020
    <https://doi.org/10.1017/S0261143022000423>

    Emília Barna, Ágnes Patakfalvi-Czirják

  * Songs of tractors and submission: on the assembled politicity of
    popular music and far-right populism in Austria
    <https://doi.org/10.1017/S0261143022000459>

    André Doehring, Kai Ginkel

  *  From ‘we shall prevail’ to ‘weapon of struggle’: Populism, Chile's
    Unidad Popular government and Nueva Canción
    <https://doi.org/10.1017/S0261143022000460> (Open Access)

    Gonzalo Carrasco, Dan Bendrups, Raúl Sanchez Urribarrí

  * Anti-populist populism: Musical challenges to Trump's America and
    Erdoğan's Turkey <https://doi.org/10.1017/S0261143022000447> (Open
    Access)

    Lyndon C.S. Way