[Commlist] CHASE Studentships in Film, Media and Cultural Studies at Birkbeck

Tue Nov 15 10:18:14 GMT 2022

Postgraduate studentships are available in Birkbeck’s Department of Film, Media and Cultural Studies <https://www.bbk.ac.uk/departments/culture/>for entry in 2023/24.

We offer MPhil/PhD programmes in:

  * Cultural Policy and Management
    <https://www.bbk.ac.uk/courses/phd/cultural-policy-and-management>
  * Digital Culture and Communication
    <https://www.bbk.ac.uk/courses/phd/digital-culture-and-communication>
  * Film and Screen Media
    <https://www.bbk.ac.uk/courses/phd/film-and-screen-media>
  * Journalism and Communication
    <https://www.bbk.ac.uk/courses/phd/journalism-and-communication>

This funding is awarded by the Consortium for the Humanities and the Arts South-east England (CHASE) Doctoral Training Programme <https://www.chase.ac.uk/>, of which Birkbeck is a member. Both Home and International students are eligible to apply.

*How to apply*

It is critical that you contact a potential supervisor in the first instance, as early as possible. Please consult the list of academic staff <https://www.bbk.ac.uk/departments/culture/our-staff>in the Department of Film, Media and Cultural Studies, and ideally make contact with potential supervisors no later than end of November 2022.

Getting in touch with potential supervisors early on will allow adequate time for the further development your research proposal, prior to applying for entry into one of our MPhil/PhD programmes (the first step in the CHASE application process, with a deadline of 16 December 2022).

Full details on Birkbeck’s CHASE funding application process are outlined at this website <https://www.bbk.ac.uk/student-services/financial-support/phd-funding/ahrc-chase>. The final application deadline is *midday on 27 January 2023.*

**

*About our research*

Research in the Department of Film, Media and Cultural Studies encompasses journalism, film and television, artistic practice and arts management, and digital media, culture and design. Our work is critically engaged, challenging conventional assumptions about the functions and influence of media and culture, scrutinising institutions, organisations and work practices in the creative industries, and rethinking what media can mean and do.

We place a special emphasis on practice-based research, in which ideas and issues are investigated through activities such as creative film-making, curatorial practice and digital design. The department is thoroughly interdisciplinary, and incorporates both historical research and contemporary explorations of our rapidly-changing media landscapes.

*Further information*

  * Complete details on Birkbeck’s CHASE funding application process

<https://www.bbk.ac.uk/student-services/financial-support/phd-funding/ahrc-chase>.
  * Further information on our research culture and postgraduate student
    community <https://www.bbk.ac.uk/departments/culture/research> in
    Film, Media and Cultural Studies.
  * Questions about doctoral research in Birkbeck’s Department of Film,
    Media and Cultural Studies? Contact Dr Scott Rodgers
    <https://www.bbk.ac.uk/our-staff/profile/8005868/scott-rodgers>,
    Director of Postgraduate Research.
  * Questions about CHASE funding at Birkbeck? Submit an enquiry via
    email

<mailto:(SoAFA /at/ bbk.ac.uk)?subject=Enquiry%20about%20CHASE%20Funding%20at%20Birkbeck>.