[Commlist] Philosophy of Communication ECREA 2022

Tue Oct 04 21:38:40 GMT 2022

*New Perspectives and Directions in Philosophy of Communication
*ECREA Philosophy of Communication Section 2022 Pre-conference, October 7th
Register here to get a zoom link: https://forms.gle/EnFbRLEA5t94eAiaA <https://forms.gle/EnFbRLEA5t94eAiaA>

Philosophy is perhaps the most reflective of all academic disciplines. Philosophers keep asking questions not only about the world, our knowledge of it or the ways we act or should act in it. Rather, the question of what philosophy is and what is its place in the world is also a very important philosophical question by itself. In this one-day event we do not aim at the presentation of mature research, but rather at reflections regarding the state of the philosophy of communications. These 3 one hour and a half sessions will all start with brief formal discussion openers by selected members which will form the basis of a conversation on each topic.

Philosophy in institutions, philosophy of institutions. This session is devoted to a conversation about the section itself and how it is developing. Why do we need the institutionalization of the philosophy of communication, what forms may it take in the future? Here we will look at what the section can do for early career researchers, how we could enliven exchange within the section and cooperation with other sections.

In Search for the Fields of Impact. What impact can philosophy (of communication) have on the world outside of academia? What are the big issues of the day and what is the contribution philosophy of communication can make? What are the topics and questions, or even events philosophy of communication has not considered yet, but definitely should?

Philosophy of Communication beyond the “parent disciplines”. How do we see its place in both institutionalized disciplines – philosophy and communication? Should it reach out for dialogue with other disciplines – e.g. linguistics, literary or art studies? What forms do these collaborations take or may take?

*Schedule *(all in CEST)
10.30 *Reception* and opening words

*I. Philosophy in institutions, philosophy of institutions — 10.40 – 12.10 CEST
*
Discussion openers:
10.40 – 11.00. Kęstas Kirtiklis, Vilnius University. “What counts as quality in philosophy (of communication)” 11.00 - 11.20. Barna Kovács, Sapientia Hungarian University of Transylvania. “Manipulation - mediation – meditation”
11.20 - 12.10. Debate

*II. In Search for the Fields of Impact — 13.30 – 15.00 CEST
*
Discussion openers:
13.30 - 13.50. Peter Kastberg, Aalborg University. “Giving constitutive communication a gestalt: Modelling the Terra Firma of dialogical communication” 13.50 - 14.10. Manuel Bogalheiro, CICANT. “Communication beyond representation and the epistemology of the non-human turn”
14.10 - 15.00. Debate

*III. Philosophy of Communication beyond the “parent disciplines” — 15.15 – 16.45 CEST
*
Discussion openers:
15.15 - 15.35. José Gomes Pinto, CICANT. “Rhetorics and Communication: is there any cross possibilities?” 15.35 - 15.55. Johan Siebers, Middlesex University. “Philosophy of Communication. Rhetoric, Linguistics”
15.55 - 16.45. Debate.
16.45 - 17.00. Closing remarks and business matters

Organizing Committee
Kęstas Kirtiklis, Vilnius University
Eli Dresner, Tel Aviv University
Joana Bicacro, CICANT
Johan Siebers, Middlesex University
Manuel Bogalheiro, CICANT

Register here to get a zoom link: https://forms.gle/EnFbRLEA5t94eAiaA <https://forms.gle/EnFbRLEA5t94eAiaA>

Event Zoom Address: To be sent by the end of Oct. 6th

Contact us at (joana.bicacro /at/ ulusofona.pt) <mailto:(joana.bicacro /at/ ulusofona.pt)> or (manuel.bogalheiro /at/ ulp.pt) <mailto:(manuel.bogalheiro /at/ ulp.pt)>

Programme at: https://tinyurl.com/ecreaphilcom2022 <https://tinyurl.com/ecreaphilcom2022>