[Commlist] CFP (Brave) New Worlds Graduate Symposium

Wed Jun 29 17:25:40 GMT 2022

(Brave) New Worlds
Graduate Symposium
CETAPS (Centre for English, Translation and Anglo-Portuguese Studies) – American
Intersections Research Strand
Venue: NOVA FCSH (NOVA School of Social Sciences and Humanities)
Colégio Almada Negreiros (CAN), Lisbon, Portugal
As we celebrate the 90th anniversary of the publication of Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World, it becomes inevitable to reflect on its impact in the context of American imaginaries. Thinking about what is going on in the world, including wars, pandemics, and climate change, the (Brave) New Worlds Symposium aims to bring together an intersection of plural perspectives and representations of the worlds and spaces we are creating across multiple areas of literary and cultural studies.

We invite proposals responding to, but not limited to, the following topics:
• Mapping identities (age/race/gender)
• New worlds in speculative fiction
• (Auto)mobility spaces
• Migration and new worlds
• Mapping space through visual and digital culture
• Embodiment and ethics of reproduction
• Representations of space in climate fiction
• Representations of space and climate change
• Redefining space in the post-pandemic period
• Finding new spaces/worlds in the context of war
• Spaces of industrialization and technology
• Technological spaces and landscapes
• The worlds of virtual reality
• Subaltern identities and politics of difference
• Representations of wastelands
The organizers will welcome proposals for 15-20-minute papers in English or Portuguese. We also
encourage early career PhD/Masters researchers to participate.
Keynote Speaker:
José Duarte (CEAUL - Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa)
Deadlines:
Please send an abstract of up to 300 words, as well as a short biographical note (100 words), by
September 15, to:
(bnewworlds22 /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(bnewworlds22 /at/ gmail.com)>
Notification of acceptance will be sent by September 30.
Fee: 10€
Organizing Committee
Alice Carletto (CETAPS/NOVA FCSH)
Mariana Cruz (CETAPS/NOVA FCSH)