[Commlist] workshop: Digital religion – online spirituality

Tue Jun 28 17:34:28 GMT 2022

*Call for papers - workshop: /_Digital religion – online spirituality_//__/*

*Workshop webpage: *https://www.ethicsinmedia.eu/digital-religion <https://www.ethicsinmedia.eu/digital-religion>*/_
_/*

*November 10.-12.11 2022, **Palacky **University in Olomouc, Czech Republic*

The workshop aims to discuss and conceptualize the influence of new communication technologies on forming contemporary church communities and authorities. It concerns an interdisciplinary area that examines to what extent traditional religious practice adapts to the digital environment and how aspects of digital culture form life patterns of offline religious groups. It is evident that online religious practice influences the contemporary community of believers, and new unchurched receivers of the content and spiritual practice are impacted much more than ever before. (Campbell, Evolvi, 2020) The largest group of Twitter followers of Pope Francis are non-religious persons, while the smallest group are Catholics (Narbona, 2016).

*
*

*The workshop will feature, but is not limited to, the following three interconnected dimensions:*

/I) Online spirituality: digital religious communities and religious practices online/ /II) Religious influencers online: changes in religious authorities in the time of new media/
/III) Ethics in media representation of spirituality and religion/

The workshop aims to connect researchers who study changes in spirituality/religion in connection to online media, share their up-to-date research findings, and discuss possibilities for further joint researchas the secondary aim is to create an international research network that could apply to Europe‘s research funding (e.g., Twinning projects), in the future.

The following (online) *keynote speaker* has been confirmed: dr. Paromita Bose (University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad, India).

If you would like to participate in the workshop, please send us an abstract (up to 300 words, excluding references) of the conference paper and your short bio (up to 200 words). Please, email your abstracts and short bio to dr. Renata Sedláková: (renata.sedlakova /at/ upol.cz) <mailto:(renata.sedlakova /at/ upol.cz)>

Deadline for abstract submission: 31st July 2022

Abstract acceptance notification: 1st September 2022

Conference fee: 100 Euro all participants (organization of the conference and two dinners included)

We do not provide accommodation, but we offer you recommendations on where to stay and what to visit in Olomouc.

*We welcome postgraduate students, postdoctoral researchers, and advanced scholars* worldwide to share their ideas and findings on ongoing projects. Participants with various disciplinary backgrounds: religion studies, media and communication studies, sociology, cultural studies, film studies, anthropology, and theology are welcome. A maximum of 25 participants will be selected from the sent abstracts. We search for participants who will be able to represent their institution simultaneously and establish research networks in the future.