[Commlist] Call for short films for RGS-IBG Geographies Beyond Recovery

Tue Jun 07 07:29:34 GMT 2022

https://www.filmgeographies.com/call-for-films/rgs-ibg-annual-conference-2022/

(j.jacobs /at/ qmul.ac.uk)
Queen Mary University of London
Joseph Palis
(jepalis /at/ up.edu.ph)
University of the Philippines-Diliman

This year’s topic: Geographies Beyond Recovery
How do communities and environments recuperate, repair and transform after disasters? Recent events in the Global South and North have focused attention on the interrelated nature of disasters, from harmful events that seem personal or site-specific to global catastrophes. The longstanding roots of disaster geographies, and their compounding effects in the present, are ever clearer. From climate change, flooding and heatwaves, to COVID-19 and mental health crises; from rapidly declining biodiversity, to dispossessions of people from land, housing and community resources; from ongoing and evolving forms of racism, settler colonial violence and gender-based violence, to environmental loss and degradation - disasters are rarely singular short-term ruptures, and are often interconnected across place and scale. For many people, disaster disruption, loss and change are endemic and normal, beyond recovery. Disasters unfold slowly, blurring any sense of before, during and after, and their impacts habitually target already marginal people and places. We welcome films that critically interrogate the idea and practice of recovery, across scales of life and global contexts, and to explore the geographies that might lie beyond.
What kind of film?
*We accept any Format/genre: ethnographic, fiction, documentary, animation, experimental, interactive, immersive, participatory etc. (Note we cannot accept or review any films made solely to promote a course, department or institution)
When submitting please state whether your film is a
1. Completed film
2. Work in Progress (includes more detailed feedback and opportunity to resubmit)
3. Student Film
Length < 5 mins or 5-20 mins
Deadline: Register your interest in submitting as soon as possible. Your final film needs to be submitted before June 10, 2022
ENTER VIA THIS LINK
https://forms.gle/4obhrThsFzutXLGt8
Then send a copy of your film for review by wetransfer (under 2gb) or myairbridge (over 2gb) to
(info /at/ filmgeographies.com)
We also accept Vimeo links with a password to allow downloads.
Last year’s films are all available to view on Film Geographies website. Registration is required. We have over 150 films now available to watch. Please do not send us links to YouTube or Vimeo unless you have adjusted the settings so we can also download the film.
Feedback will be sent to all who request it.
Selected films will be screened at RGS-IBG 2022 a wider public screening with Q&A, and/or published on www.filmgeographies.com At our public events priority is always given to shorter films to allow as many films as possible to be screened. In order to be published on film geographies you must have the right to submit the film. Please make sure your films have undergone an ethical review before submission. To learn more about Film Geographies, geographical film, and our selected films and filmmakers, visit: https://www.filmgeographies.com/ For more about the @rgs_ibg 2022 Annual International Conference (30 Aug – 2 Sep 2022): https://www.rgs.org/.../rgs-ibg-annual-international.../ #filmgeographies #rgsibg #royalgeographicalsociety #callforfilms #callforfilmssubmissions #filmgeography #geographicalfilm #geographicfilm #geographicfilmmaking #filmicgeography #filmscreening #filmmakersworld #filmmakerslife #indiefilmmaker #indiefilmmaking#filmmaking #filmmakers #filmdirector #ilovefilm #filmography #geography #culturalgeography #mediageography #instagramfilm #instagramfilms #instagramfilmmakers #instagramfilmcommunity The information in this electronic mail is privileged and confidential, intended only for use of the individual or entity named. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, copying or use of the information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please inform us by forwarding the original email to (contactus /at/ geelongcity.vic.gov.au). Following this, please delete it immediately.