[Commlist] New book: The Future of Media (open access)

Thu Apr 07 15:57:55 GMT 2022

We have the pleasure to let you know about the publication of our book, /The Future of Media/, coedited by Goldsmiths Media and Joanna Zylinska, which has just come out from Goldsmiths Press.

Here is the book’s description:

How do we combat post-truth in the news? Are social media influencers the journalists of today? What is it like to live in a smart city? Does AI really change ‘everything’? /The Future of Media/ investigates the future of media industries and technologies (journalism, TV, film, photography, radio, publishing, social media), while exploring how media shape our future – on a political, economic, cultural and individual level. Issues of diversity, media reform, labour, activism and art take the discussion into a wider social context. Through this, the book celebrates the importance and vitality of media in the modern world. /The Future of Media/ is also an experiment in collaborative modes of thinking and working. Co-authored by theorists and practitioners from one of the world’s most established media departments and their collaborators, it offers a radical, creative and critical take on media industries – and on world affairs.

An open-access version of the book can be downloaded from the GRO repository [click on the download button]:

https://research.gold.ac.uk/id/eprint/31658/ <https://research.gold.ac.uk/id/eprint/31658/>

If you like the book, we hope you will be able to support Goldsmiths Press by ordering a paper copy for yourself and/or your library, via their distributor, MIT Press:

https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/future-media <https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/future-media>

The book also has a companion website, featuring practice works engaging with the future of media:

https://www.golddust.org.uk/futureofmedia <https://www.golddust.org.uk/futureofmedia>