[Commlist] Digital Heritages Conference cfp

Mon Mar 21 16:08:27 GMT 2022

(IN)TANGIBLE HERITAGE(S) - A conference on art, design, culture and technology – past, present, and future

Place: Canterbury, UK / Virtual.     Organisers: University of Kent
Dates: 15-17 June 2022
Abstracts: 30 March 2022 (Final)
https://architecturemps.com/canterbury-2022/

Call outline:

The buildings, towns and cities we inhabit are physical entities created in the past, experienced in the present, and projected to inform the future. The same can be said of the artefacts we use daily: designed furniture in the home, the mobile devices in our hands, the vehicles we see on our streets… However, each of these places, buildings and products had, at their inception, social and cultural roles beyond their ‘object’ status. They continue to have them today. What we understand an object to be then, is a complex question of material, digital and social import, and an intricate play of the tangible and intangible identities. Increasingly, it is also a question of hybrid experiences and overlaid histories. This complexity is even more pronounced in the case of digital artefacts and experiences such as computational design, VR simulations of ancient buildings, mobile apps, digital photography or virtual exhibitions. Intangible at the very moment of their inception, such designed artifacts not only blur the difference between the object and experience, but, increasingly, the past and the present. This conference addresses the range of issues connected to this scenario from various discipline standpoints.

-

Themes: Art Practice | Digital Art | Digital Design | Urban imaginaries | Heritage | Technology | Society and Culture | Architecture |

Partners: University of Kent, Kent School of Architecture and Planning; Centre for Heritage at Kent; the Digital Architecture Research Centre, Intellect Books, Amps, UCL Press

https://architecturemps.com/canterbury-2022/