[Commlist] PhD Scholarship opportunities at Canterbury Christ Church University

Wed Mar 16 10:10:29 GMT 2022

The School of Creative Arts and Industries at Canterbury Christ Church University welcomes applications for two full-time PhD scholarship (a stipend of £13,000 p.a., tuition fee waiver for three years and an annual expense allowance of £500). Please see details below.

Deadline for application is 30 April 2022.

/Please feel free to circulate this information to students, colleagues and other potentially interested contacts./

//

//

The School of Creative Arts and Industries at Canterbury Christ Church University welcomes applications for two full-time PhD scholarship (a stipend of £13,000 p.a., tuition fee waiver for three years and an annual expense allowance of £500) in the following research areas:

creative arts (photography, games design, media art)

performing arts (dance, drama, music)

media and cultural studies (including film, journalism and screen studies)

The scholarship will be awarded to the best candidates following the application and interview selection process.

Preference may be given to research proposals that focus on:

cultural and creative industries and organisations in Kent and South East England

creative and digital innovations

marginalised communities and social justice

cultural heritage of communities

The School has a large and vibrant PhD community with approximately 50 doctoral students. We are a leading force in research at the university where nearly 90% of research was recognised as world leading or internationally significant in REF 2014 and we expect to build on those successes in the coming years. In addition to our research outputs and success in research-degree supervisions, we maintain close links with international peer reviewed research journals and also with networks of local and international organisations through our sponsorship of the Canterbury Festival, links with Canterbury Cathedral (including access to archives), Turner Contemporary and collaboration with Screen South, Maidstone Studios, and the Marlowe Theatre (through the latter we continue to work with groups like Glyndebourne Touring Opera and the Philharmonia Orchestra). Through our research we aim to promote the public good and make a difference in the lives of the communities with which we engage; for example, the preservation and presentation of cultural heritage, giving voices to marginalised groups and exploiting the power of digital media and communication technologies for social and cultural benefits. We would be happy to help interested applicants with their proposals and applications and to discuss scholarship possibilities and supervising arrangements.

For enquiries please contact Dr Andy Birtwistle (andy.birtwistle /at/ canterbury.ac.uk) <mailto:(andy.birtwistle /at/ canterbury.ac.uk)>

How to apply: https://www.canterbury.ac.uk/study-here/scholarships-and-bursaries <https://www.canterbury.ac.uk/study-here/scholarships-and-bursaries>

Please submit your application using the online admissions portal. As part of your application you will be required to submit a research proposal. Please tick the appropriate box on the proposal form to indicate that you are applying for a PhD scholarship alongside a place on the PhD programme.

To be eligible for consideration for a scholarship you must have applied for both a place on the PhD programme as well as a scholarship by the scholarship application deadline of 30 April 2022.