[Commlist] Call for Papers, Screen Studies Conference

Thu Feb 03 17:25:04 GMT 2022

Given the later than usual circulation of the CFP last year, the editors have extended the submission deadline to midnight (GMT) on Monday 14 February. Please visit our website for more information and to download proposal templates:
https://www.gla.ac.uk/research/az/screen/conference/

The 31st International Screen Studies Conference, organised by the journal Screen, will be programmed by Screen Editors Professor Karen Lury and Professor Alastair Phillips.
Confirmed keynote speakers are:

Professor Mary Ann Doane (University of California, Berkeley) https://filmmedia.berkeley.edu/people/mary-ann-doane-1/
Dr Racquel J. Gates (Columbia University) https://www.racquelgates.com/
Dr Amy Holdsworth (University of Glasgow) https://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/cca/staff/amyholdsworth/ The Editors welcome proposals for papers, audiovisual essays, and pre-constituted three-person panels on any subject for this year’s conference. We are particularly keen to encourage contributors to a programming strand titled ‘Screen Aesthetics’ with the aim of renewing our engagement with traditional and emerging models of interpretation in relation to the textual and affective qualities of film, television and digital moving image media. We invite papers or audiovisual essays addressing any aspect of this topic, whether this be the specific properties of the screen (including sound), or contextual approaches concerning moving image reception, production, circulation, and history. We also welcome innovative approaches that lend themselves to the creative potential of the online conference format or that address the pedagogical and research challenges of the accelerated digital moment coming into view following the pandemic. Submissions for pre-constituted panels will be considered although not prioritised. The Editors are disappointed not to be able to welcome you in person to Glasgow this summer, but have decided to hold the conference online for one more year only. Feedback from our first digital conference last year indicated that delegates appreciated some of the unique aspects afforded by the online format, including increased accessibility across timezones, and catching up with recordings afterwards. We have also taken on board feedback about last year's platform, and panels this year will be held on Zoom rather than Zoom Webinar to allow for more spontaneous discussion and greater visibility of delegates. Fees are again liable to be in the region of £40 (full)/£20 (student).

Screen Editorial Office (screen-journal /at/ glasgow.ac.uk) Gilmorehill Centre University of Glasgow Glasgow G12 8QQ https://www.gla.ac.uk/research/az/screen/ Screen available online at http://screen.oxfordjournals.org