[Commlist] Call For Papers: JAM 2022

Tue Feb 01 18:39:05 GMT 2022

*Journeys Across Media: a Postgraduate Conference*

*28^th April 2022*

*Department of Film, Theatre & Television*

*University of Reading*

*
Call for Papers*

**

*“Narratives in the Global-Local"*

/An interdisciplinary conference/

/exploring narratives in theory and practice/

Our world has become a digitally connected global field, yet concurrently we are drawn to the analogue local: reigniting regional practices, emboldening domestic adventures, and rediscovering the pleasures of nearby spaces and their histories. Local media and theatre are disseminated globally via ubiquitous streaming giants, as well as through traditional broadcasters and online webcasts. What narratives are being told and re-told, how, and for whom through this post-COVID localised global world?

Narratives do not simply and neutrally reflect what is already there; they are generative forces in and of themselves with the power to structure, to discipline, and to compel. This conference proposes to explore narratives in film, theatre, television, and beyond that network and propagate local stories and histories. We welcome practice as research as well as traditional papers, including from disciplines outside traditional media that explore the functions and processes of narratives.

The conference seeks to draw together panels on topics including but not limited to:

  * Sharing research stories: engaging with the (virtual) audience
  * Sharing narratives across borders, cultures and communities
  * Transnational narratives
  * Regional media that travel (including formats)
  * Online/live narratives in TV and Theatre
  * Repairing exclusionary narratives
  * Practice and the ‘real’ environment
  * Sharing (post)human connections
  * The reality of staged screenings
  * Fictional world-building
  * Contemporary and historical storytellers

*Format*

We are delighted to announce that Professor Trish Reid will be our keynote speaker. Professor Reid recently joined the University of Reading as the new Head of the School of Arts and Communication Design, and her research focuses on the ways identity politics and politics in general intersect on contemporary UK stages.

The conference aims to take place live in Minghella Studios at the University of Reading and streamed to online audiences. We will include online and live presentations and panel members as a way of proposing how conferences might function in the future to include some of the positive legacies of productions during the pandemic.

We welcome proposals in a variety of forms, including:

  * 20-minute papers
  * Preconstituted panels with up to 3 papers
  * Video essays
  * Participatory workshops – both online and live

*Please send abstracts of no more than 500 words by 15^th  March, 2022 to:*(andrew.philip /at/ reading.ac.uk) <mailto:(andrew.philip /at/ reading.ac.uk)>(andg.cutler-colcough /at/ reading.ac.uk) <mailto:(g.cutler-colcough /at/ reading.ac.uk)>

**

*Indicative timings*

**

Abstracts due:  15^th March, 2022