[Commlist] Call for Papers Situations Cultural Studies in the Asian Context September Jeju Island Conference

Tue Jan 11 14:30:21 GMT 2022

*Call for Papers: 2022 Situations International Conference*

**

*Global Content Provider:*

*Korean Film and TV Drama as Industry and Entertainment*

*21-22 October 2022, Jeju, South Korea*

Right now, a lot of eyes are focused on Korea. In 2020, Bong Joon-ho’s/Parasite/became the first non-English-language film to win Best Picture at the Academy Awards. Soon after, its director called for film audiences to overcome the “one-inch-tall barrier of subtitles.” Two years later, Hwang Don-hyuk’s/Squid Game/(2021) became the top Netflix show in 90 countries, garnering over 111 million fans. Although these two massive hits might appear to have come out of the blue, the ascent of Korean drama to worldwide acclaim did not happen overnight. For decades, televisual K-dramas have been popular in major sites in Asia, ranging from Japan to Saudi Arabia; since the end of the 1990s, Korean films become featured more regularly at some of the major international film festivals. Korean films that won prizes at Cannes and Venice, including Park Chan-wook’s/Oldboy/(2003), Lee Chang-dong’s/Secret//Sunshine/(2007) and Kim Ki-dok’s/Piéta/(2012) not only won over cinephiles but worked in tandem with popular dramas like Lee Byung-hoon’s/Daejanggeum/(2003) to spark interest in Korean culture as a whole.

Against the backdrop of the critical success and popular acclaim of Korean films and drama, this interdisciplinary conference invites papers that explore the range of themes and topics connected to the South Korean film and TV industry. We are interested in papers that explore both the infrastructure of the Korean entertainment industry and in the Korean dramatic forms dependent on screenplay and telescript. The following topics are listed as mere suggestions; in practice, we welcome a full range of papers, including papers that offer perspectives that differ, and even differ sharply, from the dominant liberal or progressive consensus in cultural studies:

lBong Sang-Gyun and Son: The Genealogies of Korean Family Creativity

lKorean Talent Agencies

lKorean Film Companies

lThe Korean Film Festival: BIFF and its Others

lWriting for the Screen in Korea

lMarkets for Actors in Korea

lUniversity Departments: Manufacturing Creativity?

lStreaming Services in Korea: Netflix and Its Others

lMelodrama and Other Genres in Korean TV Drama

lKorean Adaptation: From Novel to Screen

lThe Art of Translation: Korean Drama and Global Content Provision

lAlternative Histories in Korean TV and Film

lSexuality and its Discontents in Korean TV Drama

lTraditional Femininity and Independent Women in Korean Drama

lUnder Siege: Men, Masculinity and Masculinist Concerns in Korean Drama

lNational Ethnocentric Interests and Global Migrant Agendas

lLGBTQ Korean films/dramas and representations of LGBTQ characters

lImage versus reality in Korean cinema

lDepictions of religion in Korean popular culture

lVirtual history and speculative futures of the Korean peninsula

lFeminism and the “Me Too” movement in Korean culture

l/Ilbe/, the alt-right, and beyond

lMasculinity in Korean cinema and TV dramas

lAsian values on screen: liberalism and tradition, progressivism and religion

lScreen translation of Korean films/dramas/webtoons

Early inquires with 200-word abstracts are appreciated. By 1 September 2022, we would invite you to submit your 4,000-word Chicago-format conference presentation with its abstract and keywords. Each invited participant will then be expected to turn his or her conference presentation into a finished 6,000-word paper for possible inclusion in a future issue of the SCOPUS-indexed journal,/Situations: Cultural Studies in the Asian Context/.

Submissions should follow the Chicago Manual of Style (16th ed.), using only endnotes. For further details about the citation protocols, refer to our journal website: http://situations.yonsei.ac.kr/sub03/sub01.php <http://situations.yonsei.ac.kr/sub03/sub01.php>.

We will pay the hotel accommodation for those participants whose final papers we accept. There are no registration fees.

**

*Should the coronavirus situation remain critical, we will consider changing the conference format to a hybrid or virtual one.*

**

*All correspondence should be sent to**(situations /at/ yonsei.ac.kr)* <mailto:(situations /at/ yonsei.ac.kr)>*and addressed to the Managing Editor, Dr Rhee Suk Koo and the two Editors, Dr Terence Murphy and Dr Peter Paik.*

CFP Categories:/Korean film, Korean TV drama, Korean studies, film studies, cultural studies, gender studies, Asian film, Asian studies/