Archive for April 2022

[Commlist] 2nd Call for Papers Performative and Experiential Translation: Meaning-Making through Language, Art and Media

Mon Apr 11 21:30:06 GMT 2022

2nd Call for Papers

Performative and Experiential Translation: Meaning-Making through Language, Art and Media

Conference at King’s College London (Strand Campus)

13-15 July 2022

DEADLINE for submission of abstracts: 21st April 2022

Organised by the Experiential Translation Network Funded by the Arts & Humanities Research Council

The conjuncture of globalisation, increased migration and digitisation has created new spaces for communication, social and cultural exchanges and encounters. Both in online and offline environments across the globe, we experience an increase in plurilingualism and multiculturalism. Further, digital technologies have made communication increasingly multimodal as we switch or swipe between images, text, memes, emoticons, sound clips,...

In today’s complex societal ecologies where multiple languages and modalities are simultaneously available for communication, it is vital to develop enhanced literacies capable of fostering individual and community agency and engagement for this highly interconnected but fragmented world. The role of translation, between languages (interlingual) and between media (intersemiotic), is central to such an undertaking.

In March 2021, we set up the AHRC-funded Experiential Translation Network, which comprises a group of international scholars, artists and translators who investigate interlingual and intersemiotic translation as a method of creation and communication, as a method for learning and teaching, collaboration and participation within multilingual, multicultural and multimodal settings.

At the forthcoming conference we will share some of the work we have conducted within the network and invite anyone with an interest in translation, whether literary, technical, artistic, professional or amateur, to join us in the ongoing enquiry into what translation can, or needs to, be and do.

We invite interventions (papers, lightning talks, performances, workshops, moving- image works) that investigate translation in an expanded sense which includes understanding the many modes and modalities that contribute to meaning-making in cross- cultural communication (online & offline), language learning and translation, and embracing the role of individual imagination and artistic creation in education and arts institutions (e.g. libraries, galleries, museums).

Possible topics include:

  *

    the capacity of translation as a concept and metaphor to represent
    the features (and also the tensions and conflicts) of our current
    globalized and increasingly ethno- diverse societies.

  *

    the creation and reception of any type of representation (i.e.
    translation) in another context or cultural milieu, including
    conflictual visions of reality, cross-cultural differences and power
    asymmetries.

  *

    intersemiotic translation as a method for fostering cross-cultural
    communication and creating inclusive social frameworks.

  *

    creative translation as a research method

  *

    The translation of multimodal disembodied texts: texts combining
    images, sounds

    and other languages.

  *

    The translation of orality

  *

    Translation and the body

  *

    The impact of new technologies: translation and social media,
    translating the digital

    new texts in digital spaces

page1image4280524928

  *

    Recontextualization as moving ‘meaning-material’: pedagogical
    approaches and processes involved in recontextualization

  *

    translation as the subject of artwork (literature, film, sculpture,
    painting, performance art, dance, and the like)

  *

    translation as a form of writing (ekphrasis, multilingual
    literature, visual poetry, text in paintings, etc.)

  *

    collaborative translation (interdisciplinarity, translator’s
    visibility in collaborative translation, technology in collaborative
    translation, etc.)

  *

    Art that examines and utilises translation as a process to make work

  *

    Art as translation

    The main objective of the conference is to generate discussion,
    raise new questions and move research into experiential translation
    forwards. Hence, we would like to encourage alternative methods of
    presenting research, work in progress or artistic projects.
    We invite both theory and practice-based interventions, in one of
    the following formats:

  *

    a 15-minute research paper

  *

    a 10-15 minute project presentation (combination of art project,
    design thinking and

    mapping, visual renditions and translations, art-language etc. plus
    research)

  *

    a 5-minute lightning talk

  *

    a performance of 5-15 minutes (But please do let us know if you’d
    like to present

    something longer)

  *

    an interactive workshop of 45-60 minutes

  *

    Moving image work

    Deadline for submission of abstracts: 21st April 2022, Please submit
    the following to (info /at/ experientialtranslation.net)
    <mailto:(info /at/ experientialtranslation.net)>:

  *

    Presentations, project presentations and lightning talks: an
    abstract of 200 words (indicating which format and length you
    choose) plus a bio of 100 words.

  *

    Performances and interactive workshops: an abstract of 250-300 words
    plus a bio of 100 words. Please indicate the format and length of
    your proposed intervention.

  *

    Moving-image work: a short description of 200 words plus a bio of
    100 words. Please indicate the format and length of your work as
    well as whether it has sound.
    Please note that we will only be able to show work on flat-screen
    monitors.

    Please note: The conference is free to attend, but you will need to
    register as places are limited. We hope very much that we will be
    able to hold this conference entirely offline. It will take place on
    the Strand campus of King’s College London.

    Conference Committee:

    Dr Ricarda Vidal, King’s College London, UK
    Dr Madeleine Campbell, Edinburgh University, UK
    Dr Heather Connelly, University of Lincoln, UK
    Zeina Dghaim, PhD Candidate, Western University, London, Canada Dr
    Joanna Kosmalska, University of Lodz, Poland
    Prof África Vidal Claramonte, University of Salamanca, Spain

    Experiential Translation

    Network www.experientialtranslation.net