Archive for April 2022

[Commlist] cfp: New York University's Neil Postman Grad Conference 2022

Sat Apr 09 08:37:40 GMT 2022

The Department of Media, Culture, and Communication at New York University is pleased to announce the *Neil Postman Graduate Student Conference <http://postmanconference.org/>*to be held on October 27-28, 2022 in a hybrid format (in person at NYU, with support for remote contributions). The theme this year is *'**Hinterlands of Media and Technology'*andour *keynote speaker is Professor Wendy Chun <https://www.sfu.ca/communication/team/faculty/wendy-chun.html>.*

***

Hinterlands of Media and Technology

October 27-28, 2022

Keynote: Professor Wendy Chun, Simon Fraser University.

Format: Hybrid (in person at NYU, with support for remote contributions)

Submission Deadline: May 1st

What is peripheral and yet indispensable to media and technology production? What networks and relations may be obscured or revealed if we interrogate the constitution of the center? This year, we focus on the centrality of the ‘elsewhere’ and the ‘otherwise’ in the production of media experiences and media technologies. To consider the many historical, geographic, economic, and material dynamics at play, we center our inquiry around the notion of the hinterlands, and invite contributions to the question: What and where are the hinterlands of media and technology?

Applicants are required to send a 300-350 word abstract, bio, and any supporting media via this application form <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfu3amFDjge0NYWyxV8fwXbLjHGRUbH8syvQS6Hy5CHW2qhJg/viewform>by May 1st, 2022.

Information is also available at www.postmanconference.org <http://www.postmanconference.org/>and questions can be directed to (postman.nyu /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(postman.nyu /at/ gmail.com)>. We will also be posting regular updates on Twitter <https://twitter.com/postmanconf>