[Commlist] CFP: 2022 International Conference on Social Media and Society (#SMSociety) - 2nd Call

Mon Dec 20 15:51:04 GMT 2021

2022 International Conference on Social Media and Society (#SMSociety)

held virtually on July 18-19, 2022

https://socialmediaandsociety.org/2021/smsociety-2022-cfp/ <https://socialmediaandsociety.org/2021/smsociety-2022-cfp/>

IMPORTANT DATES

Conference Date:July 18-19, 2022

Papers (Extended Abstracts) Due:Jan. 31, 2022

Workshops & Tutorials Due:Mar. 14, 2022

Panels Due:Mar. 14, 2022

Notification Due: Mar. 31, 2022

We are pleased to announce the Call for Papers for the 2022International Conference on Social Media & Society <https://socialmediaandsociety.org/>(#SMSociety)! #SMSociety will be held virtually on July 18th & 19th, 2022. The conference’s two-day program will feature live panels and paper presentations, tutorials, and networking events.

In keeping with the conference’s inter- and transdisciplinary focus, we welcome both quantitative and qualitative scholarly and original submissions that crosses disciplinary boundaries and expands our understanding of current and future trends in social media research across many fields including (but not limited to): Communication, Computer Science, Education, Journalism, Information Science, Law, Management, Political Science, Psychology and Sociology.

ABOUT THE CONFERENCE

#SMSociety is a gathering of leading social media researchers from around the world. It is the premier venue for sharing and discovering new peer-reviewed interdisciplinary research on how social media affects society. Organized by the Social Media Lab at Ted Rogers School of Management at Ryerson University, #SMSociety provides participants with opportunities to exchange ideas, present original research, learn about recent and ongoing studies, and network with peers.

NEW FOR 2022

  *

    #SMSociety will switch from being an annual conference to a biennial
    conference. After 2022, the next iteration of #SMSociety will be in
    the summer of 2024 (exact date, location and format TBD).

  *

    The Program Committee for #SMSociety will be authors who have
    submitted their papers to the conference for consideration. For a
    submission to be considered, one author from each submission is
    required to peer review (double blind) three other conference
    submissions.

  *

    Instead of Full and WIP paper submissions, #SMSociety will now be
inviting authors to submit extended abstracts with a 1k-1.5K word limit.

  *

    The program will be organized in a way to support attendance across
    multiple time zones and will allow our authors to safely connect.
    All presentations will also be recorded and made available to
    registered attendees for a limited time after the conference.

TOPICS OF INTEREST

 1.

    Cyberbullying, Trolling and Antisocial Behavior

 2.

    Digital Methods

 3.

    Discourse and Public Opinion

 4.

    Health and Wellbeing

 5.

    Marketing and Outreach

 6.

    Misinformation and Disinformation

 7.

    Online and Offline Communities

 8.

    Platform Governance and Regulation

 9.

    Politics and Policy

10.

    Privacy, Security and Trust

11.

    Use and Users

SUBMISSION DETAILS

  *

    https://socialmediaandsociety.org/submit/
    <https://socialmediaandsociety.org/submit/>

PUBLICATIONS:

  *

    Publication of Pre-printsand Datasets: To promote your work during
    and after the conference, authors of accepted papers (extended
    abstracts) are encouraged to share their work as a pre-print via
    EasyChair Preprint. Preprint will be accessible via the conference
    online program and other channels. If you have a dataset to share,
    you can also upload it to one of many data repositories such as
    Dataverse <https://dataverse.org/researchers>or figshare
    <https://figshare.com/>. Authors of accepted papers will then have
    an opportunity to provide a link to their pre-print and/or dataset
    for inclusion in the conference program.

  *

    Journal Publications:We will circulate CFP to relevant journal
    special issues as they become available in 2022. (We hope that
    feedback received from other scholars during the review process and
    the Q&A part of your presentation will help you refine your ideas
    and develop your work into a full paper after the conference. Once
    ready, you are encouraged to submit your full paper to a journal of
    your choice.)

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

  *

    Anatoliy Gruzd, Ryerson University

  *

    Philip Mai, Ryerson University

  *

    James Cook, University of Maine at Augusta

  *

    Zoetanya Sujon, London College of Communication

  *

    Chei Sian Lee, Nanyang Technological University

  *

    Jenna Drenten, Loyola University Chicago

  *

    Céline Yunya Song, Hong Kong Baptist University

  *

    Katrin Weller, GESIS – Leibniz Institute for Social Sciences

  *

    Felipe Soares, Ryerson University