[Commlist] Call for Participation: Diversifying Approaches to Co-Designing the Smart Everyday

Fri Nov 26 14:23:24 GMT 2021

*Call for Participation: Diversifying Approaches to Co-Designing the Smart Everyday*

IASDR 2021, 9th Congress of the International Association of Societies of Design Research, Hongkong, 5 December 2021

3 pm-9pm (HKT). Start: 7am GMT and 2am EST.
https://www.iasdr2021.org/iasdr2021-attend-workshops <https://www.iasdr2021.org/iasdr2021-attend-workshops>

Workshop Description

In this workshop, we will venture into the current state of co-design for imagining and creating smart objects and services within the context of “the home”. Together with a diverse group of workshop participants, we will use a curated set of three co-design methods and toolkits to imagine smart objects and services for the smart home. Collectively, participants get the opportunity to reflect on the implicit assumptions, goals, and values backed into the co-design methods and toolkits. This helps us to articulate desiderata beyond standard solutions for the self-contained habitat of cost-efficient consumers, and instead appreciate the contingent and idiosyncratic needs and expectations enveloping “the home”. In particular, we will critically inquire about the eurocentric perspective of the available co-design methods and toolkits. In response, we will collectively explore and interrogate goals and values of co-design for “the home” from a non-Western perspective. In what follows, we give a short overview on what to expect in the workshop: 1) a background of the topic; 2) aim of the workshop; participants expected & methods employed; 3) a thematic link to the conference; 4) expected outcome; 5) prior experience of each workshop organizer with short bio.

Workshop organizers

Alexa Becker (University Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany), Benedikt Haupt (University Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany), Christian Pentzold (University Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany), Arne Berger (Hochschule Anhalt, Köthen, Germany), Albrecht Kurze (Chemnitz University of Technology, Chemnitz, Germany), Dries De Roeck (Studio.Dott, Antwerp, Belgium & Hongkong), Jesse Josua Benjamin (UTwente, Enschede, The Netherlands), Simone Mora (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA)

More information here https://tinyurl.com/3sy3mz25 <https://tinyurl.com/3sy3mz25>

For registration, send an email to arne.berger (at) hs-anhalt.de <http://hs-anhalt.de>